Automatic Braille to Black Conversion
- 942 Downloads
The aim of this work is related to the production of inclusive technologies to help people affected by diseases, like the blindness. We present a complete pipeline to convert scanned Braille documents into classic printed text. The tool has been thought as support for assistants (e.g., in the education domain) and parents of blind and partially sighted persons (e.g., children and elderly) for the reading of Braille written documents. The software has been built and tested thanks to the collaboration with experts in the field . Experimental results confirm the effectiveness of the proposed imaging pipeline in terms of conversion accuracy, punctuation, and final page layout.
KeywordsBraille Optical Character Recognition Blind Visually Impaired
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Unione Italiana Ciechi e Ipovedenti (Italian Union of the Blind and Partially Sighted), http://www.uiciechi.it/
- 2.Kocur, I., Parajasegaram, R., Pokharel, G.: Global Data on Visual Impairment in the Year 2002. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 82 (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Ng, C.M., Ng, V., Lau, Y.: Regular feature extraction for recognition of Braille. In: Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Multimedia Applications, pp. 302–306 (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Wong, L., Abdulla, W., Hussmann, S.: A software algorithm prototype for optical recognition of embossed Braille. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Pattern Recognition, vol. 2, pp. 586–589 (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Schmid, C.: Constructing models for content-based image retrieval. In: Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (2001)Google Scholar
- 12.Atherton, T.J., Kerbyson, D.J.: Size invariant circle detection. Image and Vision Computing 17(11) (1999)Google Scholar