Plate Location and Recognition Using Blob Analisys
This work deals with plate location in an image and plate number recognition, which is done by detecting the plate area in the image and then applying a two phase processing: the phase one is to identify the digits (characters) in the plate region, and the second phase is to group them and analyze their properties. We use BLOB analisys for character location and grouping because plate characters have special properties that allows us to identify them from other objects without ambiguity. This (automatic) method can be used in several applications which range from parking or traffic control, to complex security systems.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Shaaban, Z.: An Intelligent License Plate Recognition System. International Journal of Computer Science and Network Security 11(7) (July 2011)Google Scholar
- 3.Kulkarni, P., Khatri, A., Banga, P., Shah, K.: Automatic Number Plate Recognition (ANPR) System for Indian conditions. In: 19th International Conference Radioelektronika (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Shen-Zheng, W., Hsi-Jian, L.: A Cascade Framework for a Real-Time Statistical Plate Recognition System. IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security 2(2) (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Du, S., Shehata, M., Badawy, W.: Automatic License Plate Recognition (ALPR): A State of the Art Review. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, 23(2) (February 2013)Google Scholar
- 6.Bai, H., Liu, C.: A hybrid license plate extraction method based on edge statistics and morphology. In: Proceedings of the International Conference in Pattern Recognition, vol. 2, pp. 831–834 (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Anagnostopoulos, C., Alexandropoulos, T., Loumos, V., Kayafas, E.: Intelligent traffic management through MPEG-7 vehicle flow surveillance. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Symposium on Modern Computing, pp. 202–207 (October 2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Otsu, N.: A Threshold Selection Method from Gray-Level Histograms. IEEE Transactions on System, Man, and Cybernetics. SMC 9(1) (1979)Google Scholar
- 10.Smith, R.: An Overview of the Tesseract OCR Engine. In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition, Curitiba, Brazil (September 2007)Google Scholar