Mobile System Surveillance for Vehicular Pollutants Emission, Based on Wi-Fi Ad-Hoc Network
The prototype described in this paper intend to be a tool to correlate different ubiquitous computing devices such as vehicle embedded systems and mobile devices, such as smart phones, to deal with air pollution. This paper presents the results acquired from a prototype based on an embedded system platform and a mobile device using Wi-Fi communication. In general, the objective of the prototype is send data from an automotive gas analyzer to a mobile device by means of an embedded platform based on FPGA, essentially to notify to the vehicle owner about the behavior of the car in terms of pollutant emissions. The results of the masurements are processed and compared with the Mexican Official Standards to finally show them to the user by means of a mobile device. We use a back-end FPGA platform to process data banks from the gas analyzer, and a Wi-Fi IEEE 802.11 compliant module to transmit the results to a front-end Android based smart phone which presents the results to the user. Due to the acquired data and results are handled as in Mexican Official automotive emission test, security and communication protocols are an essential part of this prototype.
KeywordsWireless communications mobile devices automotive emissions Android OS air pollution Wi-Fi security network TCP/IP ad-hoc network embedded systems FPGA
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Secretaría del Medio Ambiente Recursos Naturales, http://www.ine.gob.mx/calaire-informacion-basica/562-calaire-nom-fuentes-movilesl
- 3.Delphi, Planar Oxygen Sensors, http://am.delphi.com/products/parts/engine-management-index/sensors/planar-oxygen-sensors/
- 4.Xilinx, XtremeDSP Starter Kit, http://www.xilinx.com/products/boards-and-kits/DO-SD1800A-DSP-SK-UNI-G.htm
- 5.GainSpan GS1011M Evaluation Kit, http://www.GainSpan.com/docs2/GS1011M-EVK2-S2W-PB.pdf
- 6.Nirjon, S., Nicoara, A., Hsu, C.-H., Singh, J., Stankovic, J.: MultiNets: Policy Oriented Real-Time Switching of Wireless Interfaces on Mobile Devices. In: Real-Time and Embedded Technology and Applications Symposium (RTAS), pp. 251–260 (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Chen, Y.-S., Tsai, M.-K., Chiang, L.-S., Deng, D.-J.: Adaptive Traffic-Aware Power-Saving Protocol for IEEE 802.11 Ad Hoc Networks. In: Parallel and Distributed Systems (ICPADS), pp. 866–871, 7-9 (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Boussen, S., Tabbane, N., Tabbane, S.: Performance Analysis of SCTP Protocol in Wi-Fi Network Computer Sciences and Convergence Information Technology. In: Fourth International Conference on ICCIT 2009, pp. 178–182, 24-26 (2009)Google Scholar
- 10.IEEE Standards Association, http://standards.ieee.org/findstds/standard/802.11i-2004.html
- 12.Secretaría del medio ambiete de Distrito Federal, http://www.sma.df.gob.mx/verificentros/
- 13.United States Environmental Portection Agency, http://www.epa.gov/reg3artd/vehicletran/vehicles/vehicle_emissions_testing.htm
- 19.Hwang, J., Shin, C., Yoe, H.: Study on an Agricultural Environment Monitoring Server System using Wireless Sensor Network. Sensors 10, 1118–1121 (2010)Google Scholar