Block Device System with Pattern Definition Capability by Visible Light
This paper describes an interactive block device – LED Tile – utilizing 8x8 dot-matrix LEDs which obtain pattern drawing capability. It also applies magnet connectors for physical connections and signal transmissions, as well as interacts with accelerometer sensor and audio signal device. The function of the block device can be defined by the drawn pattern on the matrix LED, and this capability extends the block system applications. In this paper, we describe the hardware and software configurations of this block device, as well as several fundamental and high-level functions of alphanumerical character recognition. We also describe two applications of this device, such as magic square and character arrangement.
KeywordsBlock Device Pattern Drawing Function Definition
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Gorbet, M.G., Orth, M., Ishii, H.: Triangles: Tangible Interface for Manipulation and exploration of Digital Information Topography. In: Proc. of CHI 1998, pp. 49–56 (1998)Google Scholar
- 2.Lee, J., Kakehi, Y., Naemura, T.: Bloxels: Glowing Blocks as Volumetric Pixels. ACM SIGGRAPH 2009 Emerging Technologies ET 331 (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Suzuki, H., Kato, H.: AlgoBlock: a Tangible Programming Language for Collaborative Learning. In: Proc. of ED-Media, p. 770 (1994)Google Scholar
- 4.Akita, J.: Matrix LED Unit with Pattern Drawing and Extensive Connection. In: Proceedings of SIGGRAPH 2010, Emerging Technologies, CD-ROM (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Akita, J.: Interactive Block Device System with Pattern Drawing Capability on Matrix LEDs. In: The ACM SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI) 2012, Interactivity, in DVD-ROM (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.Hudson, S.: Using Light Emitting Diode Arrays as Touch Sensitive Input and Output Devices. In: Proc. UIST 2004, pp. 287–290 (2004)Google Scholar