Fingerprint Reconstruction: From Minutiae
Fingerprint is one of the very important biometric features used to identify humans across the globe. Minutiae based representation is the most widely used fingerprint representation scheme among other schemes available. Since minutiae representation is a compacted one, there has been an impression that the minutiae template does not contain sufficient information to reconstruct the original grayscale fingerprint image. This misconception has been proven to be incorrect, several algorithms have been proposed that can reconstruct fingerprint images from minutiae templates. But all these algorithms have one common drawback that many spurious minutiae, which are not included in the original minutiae template are generated in the reconstructed image. Moreover, some of these techniques can only reconstruct a partial fingerprint. In this paper, a novel fingerprint reconstruction algorithm is proposed, which not only reconstructs the whole fingerprint, but the reconstructed fingerprint contains very few spurious minutiae. The proposed algorithm reconstructs the continuous phase from minutiae. Experimental results have shown that the proposed algorithm reconstructs whole fingerprint. It also contains very few spurious minutiae.
KeywordsFingerprint fingerprint reconstruction phase image minutiae orientation field
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bazen, A.M., Verwaaijen, G.T.B., Gerez, S.H., Veelenturf, P.J., van der Zwaag, B.J.: A Correlation-Based Fingerprint Verification System. In: Proc. 11th Ann. Workshop Circuits Systems and Signal Processing, pp. 205–213 (November 2000)Google Scholar
- 2.Thebaud, L.R.: Systems and Methods with Identity Verification by Comparison and Interpretation of Skin Patterns Such as Fingerprints. US Patent No. 5,909,501 (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Hara, M., Toyama, H.: Method and Apparatus for Matching Streaked Pattern Image. US Patent No. 7,295,688 (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Ratha, N.K., Bolle, R.M., Pandit, V.D., Vaish, V.: Robust Fingerprint Authentication Using Local Structural Similarity. In: Proc. Fifth IEEE Workshop Applications of Computer Vision, pp. 29–34 (2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Lee, H.C., Gaensslen, R.E. (eds.): Advances in Fingerprint Technology. Elsevier, New York (1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Maltoni, D., Maio, D., Jain, A.K., Prabhakar, S.: Hand book of Fingerprint Recognition. Springer (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Feng, J., Jain, A.K.: Fingerprint Reconstruction: From Minutiae to Phase. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis And Machine Intelligence 33(2) (February 2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Feng, J., Jain, A.K.: FM Model Based Fingerprint Reconstruction from Minutiae Template. In: Proc. Second Int’l Conf. Biometrics, pp. 544–553 (June 2009)Google Scholar