Effect of Ge-composition on the Gain of a Thin Layer Si1-yGey Avalanche Photodiode
Gain calculation of Si1-yGe y n+-i-p+ avalanche photodiode (APD) is described for multiplication layer down to tens of nanometers considering dead-space effect. Carrier diffusion from undepleted regions is considered to study the effect of low bias. The computed results are used to investigate the effect of Ge-composition (y) on the gain of a Si1-yGe y APD having thin multiplication layer. Results show that gain increases with bias more rapidly with the increase in Ge-content. It is also seen that thinner multiplication layer is required for APD having lower Ge-content to achieve the same gain at a given bias.
KeywordsAvalanche photodiode Multiplication layer Impact ionization Dead-space effect Gain
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
Author, K. Majumder thankfully acknowledges the financial support from the Department of Science and Technology (DST) of the Government of India [No. SR/S2/CMP-0110/2010(G)]. Authors would also like to thank the colleagues in their research group in the Institute of Radio Physics & Electronics of the University of Calcutta, India for their help and comments.
- 1.S. R. Forrest, ch. 4 in Semiconductors and Semimetals, 22, Orlando, FL: Academic (1985).Google Scholar
- 2.R. G. Smith and S. D. Personick, ch. 4 in Semiconductor Devices for Optical Communication, New York: Springer-Verlag (1980).Google Scholar
- 5.J. N. Hollenhorst, IEEE J. Lightwave Technol. 8, 531 (1990).Google Scholar
- 6.M. M. Hayat and B. E. A. Saleh, IEEE J. Lightwave Technol. 10, 1415 (1992).Google Scholar
- 8.Y. M. Kang, H. D. Liu, M. Morse, M. J. Paniccia, M. Zadka, S. Litski, G. Sarid, A. Pauchard, Y. H. Kuo, H. W. Chen, W. S. Zaoui, J. E. Bowers, A. Beling, D. C. McIntosh, X. G. Zheng, and J. C. Campbell, Nat. Photonics. 3, 59 (2009).Google Scholar
- 9.J. S. Youn, M. J. Lee, K. Y. Park, and W. Y. Choi, IEEE J. Quantum Electronics. 48, 229 (2012).Google Scholar
- 10.U. Dumler, M. Moller, A. Bielik, T. Ellermeyer, H. Langenhagen, W. Walther, and J. Mejri, Electron. Lett, 42, 21 (2006).Google Scholar
- 12.C. Li, C. J. Huang, B. Cheng, Y. Zuo, L. Luo, J. Yu, and Q. Wang, J. Appl. Phys. 92, 1718 (2002).Google Scholar
- 14.C. H. Tan, J. C. Clark, J. P. R. David, G. J. Rees, S. A. Plimmer, R. C. Tozer, D. C. Herbert, D. J. Robbins, W. Y. Leong, and J. Newey, Appl. Phys. Lett, 76, 3926 (2000).Google Scholar