From Moodle Log File to the Students Network
E-learning is a method of education which usually uses Learning Management Systems and internet environment to ensure the maintenance of courses and to support the educational process. Moodle, one of such systems widely used, provides several statistical tools to analyse students’ behaviour in the system. However, none of these tools provides visualisation of relations between students and their clustering into groups based on their similar behaviour. This article presents a proposed approach for analysis of students’ behaviour in the system based on their profiles and on the students’ profiles similarity. The approach uses principles from process mining and the visualization of relations between students and groups of students is done by graph theory.
Keywordse-Learning Students’ Behaviour User Profiles
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Berry, M.: Survey of Text Mining: Clustering, Classification, and Retrieval. Springer (September 2003)Google Scholar
- 2.Chen, J., Huang, K., Wang, F., Wang, H.: E-learning behavior analysis based on fuzzy clustering. In: Proceedings of International Conference on Genetic and Evolutionary Computing (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Dráždilová, P., Babsková, A., Martinovič, J., Slaninová, K., Minks, S.: Method for identification of suitable persons in collaborators’ networks. In: CISIM, pp. 101–110 (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.Dráždilová, P., Obadi, G., Slaninová, K., Al-Dubaee, S., Martinovič, J., Snášel, V.: Computational intelligence methods for data analysis and mining of eLearning activities. In: Xhafa, F., Caballé, S., Abraham, A., Daradoumis, T., Juan Perez, A.A. (eds.) Computational Intelligence for Technology Enhanced Learning. SCI, vol. 273, pp. 195–224. Springer, Heidelberg (2010)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Dunham, M.H.: Data Mining: Introductory and Advanced Topics. Prentice Hall (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.El-halees, A.: Mining students data to analyze learning behavior: a case study (2008)Google Scholar
- 9.Hershkovitz, A., Nachmias, R.: Learning about online learning processes and students’ motivation through web usage mining. Interdisciplinary Journal of E-Learning and Learning Objects 5, 197–214 (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Newman, M.E.J.: Networks: An Introduction. Oxford University Press (2010)Google Scholar
- 12.Radicchi, F., Castellano, C., Cecconi, F., Loreto, V., Parisi, D.: Defining and identifying communities in networks (February 2004)Google Scholar
- 13.van der Aalst, W.M.P.: Process Mining: Discovery, Conformance and Enhancement of Business Processes, 1st edn. Springer, Heidelberg (2011)Google Scholar
- 15.Yang, F., Shen, R., Han, P.: Construction and application of the learning behavior analysis center based on open e-learning platform (2002)Google Scholar