Adaptation of the Combined Image Similarity Index for Video Sequences
One of the most relevant areas of research in the image analysis domain is the development of automatic image quality assessment methods which should be consistent with human perception of various distortions. During last years several metrics have been proposed as well as their combinations which lead to highly linear correlation with subjective opinions. One of the recently proposed ideas is the Combined Image Similarity Index which is the nonlinear combination of three metrics outperforming most of currently known ones for major image datasets. In this paper the applicability and extension of this metric for video quality assessment purposes is analysed and the obtained performance results are compared with some other metrics using the video quality assessment database recently developed at École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne and Politecnico di Milano for quality monitoring over IP networks, known as EPFL-PoliMI dataset.
KeywordsVideo Sequence Video Quality Mean Opinion Score Image Quality Assessment Subjective Score
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Wang, Z., Simoncelli, E., Bovik, A.: Multi-Scale Structural Similarity for image quality assessment. In: Proc. 37th IEEE Asilomar Conf. on Signals, Systems and Computers (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Ponomarenko, N., Lukin, V., Zelensky, A., Egiazarian, K., Carli, M., Battisti, F.: TID2008 – a database for evaluation of full-reference visual quality assessment metrics. Advances of Modern Radioelectronics 10, 30–45 (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Larson, E., Chandler, D.: Most apparent distortion: full-reference image quality assessment and the role of strategy. Journal of Electronic Imaging 19(1), 011006 (2010)Google Scholar
- 7.Sheikh, H., Wang, Z., Cormack, L., Bovik, A.: LIVE image quality assessment database release 2 (2005), http://live.ece.utexas.edu/research/quality
- 9.Moorthy, A., Choi, L., de Veciana, G., Bovik, A.: Mobile Video Quality Assessment Database. In: Proc. IEEE ICC Workshop on Realizing Advanced Video Optimized Wireless Networks (2012)Google Scholar
- 11.De Simone, F., Tagliasacchi, M., Naccari, M., Tubaro, S., Ebrahimi, T.: A H.264/AVC video database for the evaluation of quality metrics. In: Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Acoustics Speech Signal Processing, pp. 2430–2433 (2010)Google Scholar