Uneven Key Pre-Distribution Scheme for Multi-Phase Wireless Sensor Networks
In multi-phase Wireless Sensor Networks (WSNs), sensor nodes are redeployed periodically to replace nodes whose batteries are depleted. In order to keep the network resilient against node capture attacks across different deployment epochs, called generations, it is necessary to refresh the key pools from which cryptographic keys are distributed. In this paper, we propose Uneven Key Pre-distribution (UKP) scheme that uses multiple different key pools at each generation. Our UKP scheme provides self healing that improves the resiliency of the network at a higher level as compared to an existing scheme in the literature. Moreover, our scheme provides perfect local and global connectivity. We conduct our simulations in mobile environment to see how our scheme performs under more realistic scenarios.
This work was supported by the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TUBITAK) under grant 110E180.
- 1.Amundson I, Koutsoukos XD (2009) A survey on localization for mobile wireless sensor networks. In: Proceedings of the 2Nd international conference on mobile entity localization and tracking in GPS-less environments, Springer, Berlin, pp 235–254Google Scholar
- 3.Castelluccia C., Spognardi A (2007) RoK: a robust key pre-distribution protocol for multi-phase wireless sensor networks. In: SecureComm2007, Third International Conference on Security and Privacy in Communication Networks. Baltimore, MD, USAGoogle Scholar
- 4.Chan H, Perrig A, Song D (2003) Random key predistribution schemes for sensor networks. In: IEEE SP’03, pp 197–213Google Scholar
- 5.Eschenauer L, Gligor VD (2002) A key-management scheme for distributed sensor networks. In: Proceedings of the 9th ACM conference on computer and communications security. Washington, DC, USA, pp 41–47Google Scholar
- 6.Ito H, Miyaji A, Omote K (2010) RPoK: a strongly resilient polynomial-based random key pre-distribution scheme for multiphase wireless sensor networks. In: Global Telecommunications Conference (GLOBECOM 2010), 2010 IEEE, pp 1–5Google Scholar
- 7.Yi S, Youngfeng C, Liangrui T (2012) A multi-phase key pre-distribution scheme based on hash chain. In: Fuzzy Systems and Knowledge, Discovery, pp 2061–2064Google Scholar