Structured Light Techniques for 3D Surface Reconstruction in Robotic Tasks
Robotic tasks such as navigation and path planning can be greatly enhanced by a vision system capable of providing depth perception from fast and accurate 3D surface reconstruction. Focused on robotic welding tasks we present a comparative analysis of a novel mathematical formulation for 3D surface reconstruction and discuss image processing requirements for reliable detection of patterns in the image. Models are presented for a parallel and angled configurations of light source and image sensor. It is shown that the parallel arrangement requires 35% fewer arithmetic operations to compute a point cloud in 3D being thus more appropriate for real-time applications. Experiments show that the technique is appropriate to scan a variety of surfaces and, in particular, the intended metallic parts for robotic welding tasks.
KeywordsPoint Cloud Stripe Pattern Calibration Plane Robotic Task Maximum Span Tree
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Albitar, C., Graebling, P., Doignon, C.: Robust structured light coding for 3D reconstruction. In: Int. Conf. Comp. Vis (ICCV), pp. 1–6 (2007)Google Scholar
- 2.Brink, W., Robinson, A., Rodrigues, M.A.: Indexing Uncoded Stripe Patterns in Structured Light Systems by Maximum Spanning Trees. In: Proc. BMVC British Machine Vision Conference (2008) ISBN 978-1-901725-36-0ssGoogle Scholar
- 6.IDS Imaging GmbH, USB2 uEye LE Camera Boards (2013), www.ids-imaging.com (Last accessed January 9 , 2013)
- 7.Kawasaki, H., Furukawa, R., Sagawa, R., Yasushi, Y.: Dynamic scene shape reconstruction using a single structured light pattern. In: IEEE Int. Conf. Comp. Vis. and Pat. Rec. (CVPR), pp. 1–8 (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.MARWIN: Decision making and augmented reality support for automatic welding installations, EU-funded Project no. 286284, Research for the Benefit of SMEs, from November 2011 to October 2013, http://www.marwin-welding.eu/
- 9.Microvision Inc., MicroVision SHOWWX+ Laser Pico Projector (2013), microvision.com (Last accessed on January 9, 2013)
- 13.Robinson, A., Alboul, L., Rodrigues, M.: Methods for Indexing Stripes in Uncoded Structured Light Scanning Systems. Journal of WSCG 12(1-3), ISSN 1213–6972Google Scholar
- 14.Rodrigues, M., Kormann, M., Schuhler, C., Tomek, P.: An Intelligent Real Time 3D Vision System for Robotic Welding Tasks. In: IEEE ISMA 2013 The 9th Int. Sym. on Mechatronics and Apps., Amman, Jordan, April 9-13 (2013)Google Scholar
- 15.Rodrigues, M., Robinson, A.: Novel methods for real-time 3D facial recognition. In: Sarrafzadeh, M., Petratos, P. (eds.) Strategic Advantage of Computing Information Systems in Enterprise Management, pp. 169–180. ATINER, Athens (2010)Google Scholar
- 17.Smisek, J.: 3D with Kinect. In: IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision Workshops (ICCV Workshops), November 6-13, pp. 1154–1160 (2011)Google Scholar