Altair: Automatic Image Analyzer to Assess Retinal Vessel Caliber
- 2.1k Downloads
The scope of this work is to develop a technological platform specialized in assessing retinal vessel caliber and describing the relationship of the results obtained to cardiovascular risk. Population studies conducted have found retinal vessel caliber to be related to the risk of hypertension, left ventricular hypertrophy, metabolic syndrome, stroke, and coronary artery disease. The vascular system in the human retina has a unique property: it is easily observed in its natural living state in the human retina by the use of a retinal camera. Retinal circulation is an area of active research by numerous groups, and there is general experimental agreement on the analysis of the patterns of the retinal blood vessels in the normal human retina. The development of automated tools designed to improve performance and decrease interobserver variability, therefore, appears necessary.
KeywordsRetinal Image Human Retina Automatic Image Analyzer Retinal Blood Vessel Retinal Circulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Goldbaum, M., Katz, N., Nelson, M., Haff, L.: The discrimination of similarly colored objects in computer images of the ocular fundus. Invest. Ophthalmol. Vis. Sci. 31, 617–623 (1990)Google Scholar
- 5.Heras, E., De la Prieta, F., Julian, V., Rodríguez, S., Botti, V., Bajo, J., Corchado, J.M.: Agreetment technologies and their use in cloud computing environments. Progress in Artificial Intelligence 1(4) (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.Hoover, A., Goldbaum, M.: Locating the optic nerve in a retinal image using the fuzzy convergence of the blood vessels. IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng. 22, 951–958 (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Lee, S., Wang, Y., Lee, E.: A computer algorithm for automated detection and quantification of microaneurysms and haemorrhages in color retinal images. In: SPIE Conference on Image Perception and Performance, vol. 3663, pp. 61–71 (1999)Google Scholar
- 11.Rodríguez, S., De Paz, J.F., Bajo, J., Corchado, J.M.: Applying CBR Sytems to Micro-Array Data Classification. In: Corchado, J.M., De Paz, J.F., Rocha, M.P., Riverola, F.F. (eds.) Proceedings of IWPACBB 2008. ASC, pp. 102–111. Springer, Heidelberg (2010)Google Scholar