Shearing Rate Effects on Dense Sand and Compacted Clay
This paper reports the findings of a series of triaxial compression tests performed on saturated specimens of compacted clay and dense sand at axial strain rates ranging from 0.01 %/min to 800 %/min. The purpose of these tests is to provide a baseline for the shear strength of near surface soils during buried explosions, and to evaluate the transition from conventional quasi-static experimental soil mechanics to faster rate testing. The behavior of the saturated clay and sand specimens under undrained loading is examined in detail using pore water pressure measurements at the boundary, which permits evaluation of the impact of the rate of loading on the effective stress paths during shearing.
KeywordsAxisymmetric triaxial testing Soil shear strength Strain rate Blast loading Experimental soil mechanics
Funding for this research was provided by Office of Naval Research (ONR) grant N00014-11-1-0691. This funding is gratefully acknowledged.
- 1.Casagrande A, Shannon WL (1948) Stress-deformation and strength characteristics of soils under dynamic loads. In: Proceedings of 2nd ICSMFE, Rotterdam, Netherlands, vol V, pp 29–34Google Scholar
- 3.Olson RE, Parola JF (1967) Dynamic shearing properties of compacted clay. In: Proceedings of international symposium on wave propagation and dynamic properties of earth materials, University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, New Mexico, pp 173–182Google Scholar
- 7.Yamamuro JA, Abrantes AE (2003) Behavior of medium sand under very high strain rates. In: Proceedings 1st Japan-US workshop on testing, modeling and simulation, ASCE Geotechnical Special Publication, Boston, Massachusetts, no. 143, pp 61–70Google Scholar
- 8.Whitman RV (1970) The response of soils to dynamic loading. Report no. 26. U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. Waterways Experiment StationGoogle Scholar
- 10.ASTM D422 (2007) Standard test method for particle-size analysis of soils. ASTM Int, West ConshohockenGoogle Scholar
- 11.ASTM D854 (2002) Standard test method for specific gravity of soil solid by water pycnometer. ASTM Int, West ConshohockenGoogle Scholar
- 12.ASTM D4318 (2000) Standard test method liquid limit, plastic limit and plasticity index of soil. ASTM Int, West ConshohockenGoogle Scholar
- 13.ASTM D698 (2003) Standard test method for laboratory compaction characteristics of using standard effort. ASTM Int, West ConshohockenGoogle Scholar
- 14.ASTM D2435 (2004) Standard test methods for one dimensional consolidation properties of soil using incremental loading. ASTM Int, West ConshohockenGoogle Scholar
- 15.ASTM D4764 (2002) Standard test method for consolidated undrained triaxial compression test for cohesive soils. ASTM Int, West ConshohockenGoogle Scholar