Boosting the Detection of Transposable Elements Using Machine Learning
Transposable Elements (TE) are sequences of DNA that move and transpose within a genome. TEs, as mutation agents, are quite important for their role in both genome alteration diseases and on species evolution. Several tools have been developed to discover and annotate TEs but no single one achieves good results on all different types of TEs. In this paper we evaluate the performance of several TEs detection and annotation tools and investigate if Machine Learning techniques can be used to improve their overall detection accuracy. The results of an in silico evaluation of TEs detection and annotation tools indicate that their performance can be improved by using machine learning classifiers.
KeywordsTransposable Elements Machine Learning Genomics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Chénais, B., Caruso, A., Hiard, S., Casse, N.: The impact of transposable elements on eukaryotic genomes: From genome size increase to genetic adaptation to stressful environments. Gene (2012)Google Scholar
- 3.Casacuberta, E., Gonzlez, J.: The impact of transposable elements in environmental adaptation. Mol. Ecol. (2013)Google Scholar
- 4.Cowley, M., Oakey, R.J.: Transposable elements re-wire and fine-tune the transcriptome. PLoS Genet. 9(1) (2013)Google Scholar
- 9.Koso, H., Takeda, H., Yew, C.C., Ward, J.M., Nariai, N., Ueno, K., Nagasaki, M., Watanabe, S., Rust, A.G., Adams, D.J., Copeland, N.G., Jenkins, N.A.: Transposon mutagenesis identifies genes that transform neural stem cells into glioma-initiating cells. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 109(44), E2998–E3007 (2012)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Llorns, C., Futami, R., Bezemer, D., Moya, A.: The ::::gypsy:::: Database (gydb) of mobile genetic elements. Nucleic Acids Research 36(Database-Issue), 38–46 (2008)Google Scholar
- 14.Green, P., Smit, A.F.A., Hubley, R.: RepeatMasker Open-3.0Google Scholar
- 15.Kent, W.: Blat the blast-like alignment tool. Genome Research 12 (2002)Google Scholar
- 16.Witten, I.H., Frank, E.: Data Mining: Practical machine learning tools and techniques, 2nd edn. Morgan Kaufmann (2005)Google Scholar