Challenges in Development of Real Time Multi-Robot System Using Behaviour Based Agents
This paper presents a case-study regarding development challenges of multi-agent system for multi-robot system management based on our previous research of the given topic. During the development and implementation of multi-agent system prototype using JADE platform, several implementation challenges regarding messaging system were faced. These challenges may negatively impact system maintenance, burden system evolution and also cause performance issues. The latter is of special importance in the context of multi-robot systems that operate under real-time constraints. In this paper we adopt our previous research as a case study and share challenges faced during prototype multi-robot system development. We believe that potential drawbacks and pitfalls of multi-agent system development such as challenges identified in this paper should be considered with great care especially when applying multi-agent systems to real-time constrained applications such as multi-robot systems.
KeywordsMulti-Robot Systems Behaviour Based Agents Real Time Agent Applications Development Challenges
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Lavendelis, E., et al.: Multi-Agent Robotic System Architecture for Effective Task Allocation and Management. In: Recent Researches in Communications, Electronics, Signal Processing & Automatic: Proceedings of the 11th WSEAS International Conference on Signal Processing, Robotics and Automation (ISPRA 2012), UK, Cambridge, February 22-24, pp. 167–174 (2012)Google Scholar
- 2.FIPA Contract Net Interaction Protocol Specification. Foundation for Intelligent Physical Agents, http://www.fipa.org/specs/fipa00029/ (last visited: February 21, 2002)
- 3.Liekna, A., Lavendelis, E., Grabovskis, A.: Experimental Analysis of Contract NET Protocol in Multi-Robot Task Allocation. Scientific Journal of RTU. 5th Series. Computer Science 213, 6–14 (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.Ben-Ari, M.: Principles of Concurrent and Distributed Programming, IInd edn., 384 p. Prentice-Hall (2006)Google Scholar
- 7.Jang, G., et al.: Metric Localization Using a Single Artificial Landmark for Indoor Mobile Robots. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on IROS, pp. 2857–2862 (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Open source augmented reality project GRAFT, http://www.aforgenet.com/articles/glyph_recognition/ (cited: November 16, 2012)
- 9.Mitchell, H.B.: Data Fusion: Concepts and Ideas, 348 p. Springer (2010)Google Scholar
- 10.Raol, J.R.: Multi-Sensor Data fusion with MATLAB, 534 p. CRC Press (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Hall, D.L., Llinas, J.: Handbook of multisensory data fusion, 537 p. CRC Press (2001)Google Scholar
- 12.FIPA Request Interaction Protocol Specification. Foundation for Intelligent Physical Agents (2002), http://www.fipa.org/specs/fipa00026/ (last visited: February 21, 2013)
- 13.FIPA Query Interaction Protocol Specification. Foundation for Intelligent Physical Agents (2002), http://www.fipa.org/specs/fipa00027/ (last visited: February 21, 2013)
- 14.Bellifemine, F.L., Caire, G., Greenwood, D.: Developing Multi-Agent Systems with JADE, 300 p. John Wiley & Sons (2007)Google Scholar