A Preliminary Study on Early Diagnosis of Illnesses Based on Activity Disturbances
Recently, the human stroke is gathering the focus as one of the diseases with higher mortality and social impact. In addition, it has a long-term treatment and high rehabilitation costs. Therefore, the early diagnosis of stroke can take advantage in avoiding the stroke itself or highly reducing its effects. Up to our knowledge, no previous study on stroke early diagnosis has been published in the literature. This study deals with the early detection of the stroke based on accelerometers and mobile devices. First, a discussion on the problem is presented and the design of the approach is outlined. In a first stage, it is necessary to determine what is the subject doing at any moment; thus, human activity recognition is performed. Afterwards, once the current activity is estimated, the detection of anomalous movements is proposed. Nevertheless, as there is no data available to learn the problem, a realistic proposal for simulating stroke episodes is presented, which lead us to draw the conclusions.
KeywordsAmbient Assisted Living Stroke Early Diagnosis Genetic Algorithms Fuzzy State Machines
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Manaf, H., Justine, M., Omar, M., Isa, K.A.M., Salleh, Z.: ISRN Rehabilitation (in press)Google Scholar
- 3.Gallanagh, S., Quinn, T.J., Alexander, J., Walters, M.R.: ISRN Neurology (2011), doi:10.5402/2011/953818Google Scholar
- 4.Murray, M.P., Drought, A.B., Kory, R.C.: Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery 46(2), 335 (1964)Google Scholar
- 5.Hollands, K.L.: Whole body coordination during turning while walking in stroke survivors. Ph.D. thesis, School of Health and Population Sciences, University of Birmingham (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Rand, D., Eng, J.J., Tang, P.F., Jeng, J.S., Hung, C.: Stroke 40, 163 (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Ahmed, M., Ahmed, S.: Annals of King Edward Medical University 14(4), 143 (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.de Quervain, I., Simon, S., Leurgans, S., Pease, W., McAllister, D.: The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. American Volume 78(10), 1506 (1996)Google Scholar
- 11.Ávarez-Álvarez, A., Triviño, G., Cordón, O.: In: IEEE 5th International Workshop on Genetic and Evolutionary Fuzzy Systems (GEFS), pp. 60–65 (2011)Google Scholar
- 12.Allen, F.R., Ambikairajah, E., Lovell, N.H., Celler, B.G.: Physiological Measurement 27, 935 (2006)Google Scholar
- 13.Wang, S., Yang, J., Chen, N., Chen, X., Zhang, Q.: In: Proceedings of the International Conference on Neural Networks and Brain ICNN&B 2005, vol. 2, pp. 1212–1217. IEEE Conference Publications (2005)Google Scholar
- 15.Burchfield, T.R., Venkatesan, S.: In: Proceedings of the 1st ACM SIGMOBILE International Workshop on Systems and Networking Support for Healthcare and Assisted Living Environments HealthNet 2007, pp. 67–69 (2007)Google Scholar