Numerical Solution of Optimal Control Problems Governed by the Compressible Navier-Stokes Equations
Theoretical and practical issues arising in optimal boundary control of the unsteady two-dimensional compressible Navier-Stokes equations are discussed. Assuming a sufficiently smooth state, formal adjoint and gradient equations are derived. For a vortex rebound model problem wall normal suction and blowing is used to minimize cost functionals of interest, here the kinetic energy at the final time.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- T. R. Bewley, P. Moin, and R. Teman, DNS-based predictive control of turbulence: an optimal target for feedback algorithms, Submitted to J. Fluid Mech., 2000.Google Scholar
- S. S. Collis, K. Ghayour, M. Heinkenschloss, M. Ulbrich, and S. Ulbrich, Towards adjoint-based methods for aeroacoustic control, in: 39th Aerospace Science Meeting & Exhibit, January 8–11, 2001, Reno, Nevada, AIAA Paper 2001–0821 (2001).Google Scholar
- S. S. Collis, Y. Chang, S. Kellogg, and R. D. Prabhu, Large Eddy Simulation and Turbulence Control, AIAA paper 2000–2564, (2000).Google Scholar
- M. Gad el Hak, A. Pollard, and J.-P. Bonnet, editors, Flow Control. Fundamental and Practices, Springer Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York, 1998.Google Scholar
- A. V. Fursikov, Optimal Control of Distributed Systems. Theory and Applications, Translation of Mathematical Monographs 87, American Mathematical Society, Providence, Rhode Island, 2000.Google Scholar
- M. D. Gunzburger and L. S. Hou, editors, International Journal of Computational Fluid Dynamics, No. 1–2, 11 (1998).Google Scholar
- A. Jameson and J. Reuther, Control theory based airfoil design using the Euler equations, AIAA Paper 94–4272, (1994).Google Scholar
- W. H. Jou, W. P. Huffman, D. P. Young, R. G. Melvin, M. B. Bieterman, C. L. Hilems, and F. T. Johnson, Practical considerations in aerodynamic design optimization, in: Proceedings of the 12th AIAA Computational Fluid Dynamics Conference, San Diego, CA, June 19–22 1995. AIAA Paper 95–1730.Google Scholar
- P. L. Lions, Mathematical Topics in Fluid Mechanics. Volume 2, Compressible Models. Oxford Lecture Series in Mathematics and its Applications 10, Claredon Press, Oxford, 1998.Google Scholar
- J. Nocedal and S. J. Wright, Numerical Optimization, Springer Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York, 1999.Google Scholar
- B. Soemarwoto, The variational method for aerodynamic optimization using the Navier-Stokes equations, Technical Report 97–71, ICASE, NASA Langley Research Center, Hampton VA 23681–0001, 1997.Google Scholar
- A. Valli, Mathematical results for compressible flows, in: J. F. Rodriguez and A. Sequeira, editors, Mathematical Topics in Fluid Mechanics, Pitman Research Notes Mathematics 274, Longman Scientific and Technical, Essex, (1992) 193–229.Google Scholar