Principally Quasi-Baer Ring Hulls
We show the existence of principally (and finitely generated) right FI-extending right ring hulls for semiprime rings. From this result, we prove that right principally quasi-Baer (i.e., right p.q.-Baer) right ring hulls always exist for semiprime rings. This existence of right p.q.-Baer right ring hull for a semiprime ring unifies the result by Burgess and Raphael on the existence of a closely related unique smallest overring for a von Neumann regular ring with bounded index and the result of Dobbs and Picavet showing the existence of a weak Baer envelope for a commutative semiprime ring. As applications, we illustrate the transference of certain properties between a semiprime ring and its right p.q.-Baer right ring hull, and we explicitly describe a structure theorem for the right p.q.-Baer right ring hull of a semiprime ring with only finitely many minimal prime ideals. The existence of PP right ring hulls for reduced rings is also obtained. Further application to ring extensions such as monoid rings, matrix, and triangular matrix rings are investigated. Moreover, examples and counterexamples are provided.
Mathematics Subject Classification (2000)Primary 16N60 Secondary 16S20 16P70
KeywordsFI-extending right ring hulls right rings of quotients p.q.-Baer rings quasi-Baer rings
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- S.A. Amitsur, On rings of quotients. Symp. Math. 8 Academic Press, London (1972), 149–164.Google Scholar
- K. Beidar and R. Wisbauer, Strongly and properly semiprime modules and rings. Ring Theory, Proc. Ohio State-Denison Conf. (S.K. Jain and S.T. Rizvi (eds.)), World Scientific, Singapore (1993), 58–94.Google Scholar
- G.F. Birkenmeier, J.Y. Kim and J.K. Park, On quasi-Baer rings. Algebras and Its Applications (D.V. Huynh, S.K. Jain, and S.R. López-Permouth (eds.)), Contemp. Math. 259, Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, 2000, 67–92.Google Scholar
- G.F. Birkenmeier, J.Y. Kim and J.K. Park, Semicentral reduced algebras. International Symposium on Ring Theory (G.F. Birkenmeier, J.K. Park, and Y.S. Park (eds.)), Trends in Math. Birkhäuser, Boston, 2001, 67–84.Google Scholar
- G.F. Birkenmeier, J.K. Park and S.T. Rizvi, Hulls of ring extensions. Canad. Math. Bull., to appear.Google Scholar
- W.D. Burgess and R.M. Raphael, On extensions of regular rings of finite index by central elements. Advances in Ring Theory (S.K. Jain and S.T. Rizvi (eds.)), Trends in Math., Birkhäuser, Boston (1997), 73–86.Google Scholar
- N. Divinsky, Rings and Radicals. Univ. Toronto Press, 1965.Google Scholar
- J. Lambek, Lectures on Rings and Modules. Chelsea, New York, 1986.Google Scholar
- J. Okniński, Semigroup Algebras. Marcel Dekker, New York, 1991.Google Scholar