Economic Diversification in a Digital Economy
- 166 Downloads
In many developing countries export earnings account for a large percentage of the country Gross Domestic Product (GDP), government revenues and expenditures and public investment. High dependency on a limited number of commodities for export increases the economy vulnerability to price fluctuations in the global markets. Not only instability in export earnings reduces the ability of the economy to finance development, but also increases uncertainty about future growth. Economic diversification underscores the importance of productivity growth to balance development and reduce dependency on international markets.
The new economy, driven by digital technologies could help developing countries diversify output and foster economic growth. Building capacity for digital development enhances the country capabilities to promote innovation, create knowledge and disseminate information. Digital networks increase communication as well as allow people, regions and nations to collaborate and share information aiming at fostering growth and sustaining development. For developing countries, external knowledge enhances the economy readiness to diversify output, create employment opportunities and improve global competitiveness.
KeywordsDigital economy Economic diversification Developing countries
- Al-Roubaie, A.: Knowledge absorption and economic diversification: the case of bahrain. Int. J. Recent Technol. Eng. (IJRTE) 8(IC2), 450–455 (2019a). https://www.ijrte.org/
- Al-Roubaie, A.: Building capacity for digital development in the Arab world. Role Educ. Int. J. Eng. Adv. Technol. (IJEAT) 8(2249–8958, 5C), 1530–1537 (2019b). https://www.ijeat.org/
- United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD): Digital Economy Report 2019 (2019). https://unctad.org/en/PublicationsLibrary/der2019_overview_en.pdf
- United Nations: The Concept of Economic Diversification in the Context of Response Measures (2016). https://unfccc.int/sites/default/files/resource/Technical%20paper_Economic%20diversification.pdf
- International Monetary Fund: Economic Diversification in oil Exporting-Arab Countries (2016)Google Scholar
- Mckinsey: Digital Middle East: Transforming the Region into a Leading Digital Economy (2016)Google Scholar
- World Economic Forum: The Global Information Technology Report 2016 (2016). https://www.weforum.org/reports/the-global-information-technology-report-2016
- World Bank Group: Digital Economy concepts, Trends and Visions: Towards a Future Proof Strategy (2016). http://pubdocs.worldbank.org/en/513361482271099284/Digital-Economy-Russia-Discussion-paper-2016-12-20-eng.pdf
- United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD): Information Economy Report 2017 (2017). https://unctad.org/en/PublicationsLibrary/ier2017_en.pdf
- Economic Complexity Ranking. https://oec.world/en/rankings/country/eci/