Challenges and Opportunities of ACM Digital Library: A Preliminary Survey on Different Users
- 188 Downloads
As currently the ACM Digital Library (ACM DL) is developing its new version, this study aimed to understand the usages of ACM DL. Through focusing on the existing critical barriers for different DL users in their usages of the current ACM DL, this study aimed to identify important potential directions for the further developments of the new ACM DL. A survey was conducted among different countries, and 157 valid responses were collected. The results show information access barriers to the current ACM DL in the aspects of resource formats, browsing experience, and searching experience. We then proposed several design changes that can help developers of the ACM DL and other DLs to design more user-centered DL interfaces.
KeywordsDigital Library Information access Online survey
This work is an outcome of project “User Seeking Behavior Modeling and Search Technology Development Within Multi-Device Integrated Search Environment” (No. 71673204) supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China.
- 1.Arms, W.: Digital Libraries. MIT Press, Cambridge (2000)Google Scholar
- 2.Witten, I.H., Bainbridge, D., Nichols, D.M.: How to Build a Digital Library. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.ACM Digital Library. https://dl.acm.org/. Accessed 10 Sept 2019
- 4.Next ACM Digital Library. https://dlnext.acm.org/. Accessed 19 Sept 2019
- 7.Jiang, T., Wang, M., Gao, H.: A search log analysis of OPAC users’ searching behavior-a case study of Wuhan University library. Doc. Inf. Knowl. 167, 46–56 (2015)Google Scholar
- 8.Islamaj Dogan, R., Murray, G.C., Névéol, A., Lu, Z.: Understanding PubMed® user search behavior through log analysis. Database (2009)Google Scholar
- 9.Toms, E.G., Dufour, C., Hesemeier, S.: Measuring the user’s experience with digital libraries. In: Proceedings of the 4th ACM/IEEE-CS Joint Conference on Digital Libraries, pp. 51–52. ACM, New York (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Dongzhi, B.: Current situation and influence of the three network convergence. China New Telecommun. 4, 5–10 (2010)Google Scholar
- 11.Franke, M., Geyer-Schulz, A., Neumann, A.: Building recommendations from random walks on library OPAC usage data. In: Zani, S., Cerioli, A., Riani, M., Vichi, M. (eds.) Data Analysis, Classification and the Forward Search. Studies in Classification, Data Analysis, and Knowledge Organization, pp. 235–246. Springer, Heidelberg. (2006). https://doi.org/10.1007/3-540-35978-8_27CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Hutchinson, H.B., Bederson, B.B., Druin, A.: The evolution of the international children’s digital library searching and browsing interface. In: Proceedings of the Conference on Interaction Design and Children, pp. 105–112. ACM, New York (2006)Google Scholar
- 14.A Survey about ACM Digital Library Usage. https://www.wjx.cn/jq/39294761.aspx. Accessed 19 Sept 2019