Antioxidative Properties of Usnic Acid and Its Interaction with Tyrosyl-DNA Phosphodiesterase
- 27 Downloads
In this study are investigated antioxidative properties of usnic acid, as well as its interaction with tyrosyl-DNA phosphodiesterase 1 (TDP1). Antioxidative properties are estimated on the basis of the Density Functional Theory (DFT) calculations. For this propose, full optimization of parent molecule of usnic acid and corresponding radical cation, radicals and anions are done at M05-2X/6-311++G(d,p) level of theory. The CPCM solvation model was applied to approximate the influence of polar and non-polar solvent. Obtained results indicate single electron transfer followed by the proton transfer as thermodynamically the most unfavorable mechanism of antioxidant action. The lowest values are achieved for proton affinity, and that pointed out sequential proton loss electron transfer mechanism as dominant antioxidative mechanism. The second part of this study is the examination of the interaction between usnic acid and TDP1, which is an enzyme responsible for repairing the protein-DNA bond in the cells. In order to perform molecular docking simulation AutoDock 4.0 software is used. Analysis of obtained data specifies interactions with Asn162, Leu168, Gly182, Tyr167 and Ser485 as the most significant. Further, the molecular dynamic simulation is performed using NAMD software. It is noticed that similar interactions are obtained.
The authors acknowledge support of the Ministry of Education, Science and Technological Development of the Republic of Serbia (Grants no. 174028 and 172015).
- 1.Halliwell, B., Gutteridge, J.M.C.: Free Radicals in Biology and Medicine, 3rd edn. Clarendon Press, Oxford (1999)Google Scholar
- 2.Halliwell, B.: Free radicals and other reactive species in disease. In: Encyclopedia of Life Sciences. Nature Publishing Group (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Galano, A.: Free radicals induced oxidative stress at a molecular level: the current status, challenges and perspectives of computational chemistry based protocols. J. Mex. Chem. Soc. 59(4), 231–262 (2015)Google Scholar
- 5.Reyim, M.: Adiljan; Abdulla, A. China Brew. 11, 122–124 (2010)Google Scholar
- 18.Frisch, M.J., Trucks, G.W., Schlegel, H.B., Scuseria, G.E., Robb, M.A., Cheeseman, J.R., Zakrzewski, V.G., Montgomery, J.J., Stratmann, R.E., Burant, J.C., Dapprich, S., Millam, J.M., Daniels, A.D., Kudin, K.N., Strain, M.C., Farkas, O., Tomasi, J., Barone, V., Cossi, M., Cammi, R., Mennucci, B., Pomelli, C., Adamo, C., Clifford, S., Ochterski, J., Petersson, G.A., Ayala, P.Y., Cui, Q., Morokuma, K., Malick, A.D., Rabuck, K.D., Raghavachari, K., Foresman, J.B., Cioslowski, J., Ortiz, J.V., Baboul, A.G., Stefanov, B.B., Liu, G., Liashenko, A., Piskorz, P., Komaromi, I., Gomperts, R., Martin, R.L., Fox, D.J., Keith, T., Al-Laham, M.A., Peng, C.Y., Nanayakkara, A., Challacombe, M., Gill, P.M.W., Johnson, B., Chen, W., Wong, M.W., Andres, J.L., Gonzalez, C., Head-Gordon, M., Replogle, E.S., Pople, J.A.: Gaussian 09, Revision B.01. Gaussian Inc., Wallingford (2009)Google Scholar
- 19.Zhao, Y., Truhlar, D.G.: The M06 suite of density functionals for main group thermochemistry, thermochemical kinetics, noncovalent interactions, excited states, and transition elements: two new functionals and systematic testing of four M06-class functionals and 12 other functionals. Theoret. Chem. Acc. 120(1), 215–241 (2008)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 30.Knight, J.A.: Review: free radicals, antioxidants, and the immune system. Ann. Clin. Lab. Sci. 30(2), 145–158 (2000)Google Scholar
- 31.Cooper, G.M.: The development and causes of cancer. In: The Cell: A Molecular Approach, 2nd edn., Boston University, Sunderland, MA. Sinauer Associates (2000)Google Scholar
- 33.Antony, S., Marchand, C., Stephen, A.G., Thibaut, L., Agama, K.K., Fisher, R.J., Pommier, Y.: Novel high-throughput electrochemiluminescent assay for identification of human tyrosyl-DNA phosphodiesterase (TDP1) inhibitors and characterization of furamidine (NSC 305831) as an inhibitor of TDP1. Nucleic Acids Res. 35(13), 4474–4484 (2007)CrossRefGoogle Scholar