Optimal Load-Frequency Regulation of Demand Response Supported Isolated Hybrid Microgrid Using Fuzzy PD+I Controller
- 73 Downloads
This work is an early attempt to study the frequency fluctuations because of penetration of Wind and Solar-thermal based renewable powers into a demand response supported isolated hybrid microgrid, coordinating Micro-hydro/Biogas/Biodiesel generators using Fuzzy Proportional, derivative+Integral (PD+I) controller. Initially, a fuzzy PD+I controller is designed considering 5 membership functions and the proposed system responses are compared with PID and fuzzy PD controllers by tuning gains considering the same parameters of particle swarm optimization (PSO). The responses of the proposed microgrid are investigated by connecting renewable units one by one with the Biogas/micro-hydro generator, which witness the increment in fluctuations with penetration. Finally, frequency fluctuations of the system are adequately reduced optimally by the inclusion of Biodiesel generator and demand response contributions into the microgrid using PSO tuned Fuzzy PD+I controllers.
KeywordsHybrid microgrid Fuzzy PD+I controller Wind turbine generator Solar thermal power Biodiesel generator Biogas turbine generator
Authors extend obligatory thanks to TEQIP-III & EE Department, NIT Silchar for necessary supports/funding for presenting this work.
- 3.Barik, A.K., Tripathy, D., Mohanty, A.K.: Detection & mitigation of power quality disturbances using WPT & FACTS technology. Int. J. Sci. Eng. Technol. Res. 2, 336–343 (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Barik, A.K., Das, D.C., Muduli, R.: Demand response supported optimal load-frequency regulation of sustainable energy based four-interconnected unequal hybrid microgrids. In: IEEE International Conference on Sustainable Energy Technologies and Systems, Bhubaneswar, pp. 273–278 (2019)Google Scholar
- 7.Barik, A.K., Das, D.C.: Active power management of isolated renewable microgrid generating power from Rooftop solar arrays, sewage waters and solid urban wastes of a smart city using SSA. In: International Conference on Technologies for Smart-City Energy Security and Power (ICSESP), Bhubaneswar, pp. 1–6 (2018)Google Scholar
- 9.Barik, A.K., Das, D.C.: Optimal load-frequency regulation of bio-renewable cogeneration based interconnected hybrid microgrids with demand response support. In: 15th IEEE India Council International Conference (INDICON), Coimbatore, pp. 1–6 (2018)Google Scholar
- 10.Tripathy, D., Barik, A.K., Choudhury, N.B.D., Sahu, B.K.: Performance Comparison of SMO-based fuzzy PID controller for load frequency control. In: Soft Computing for Problem Solving, pp. 879–892. Springer, Singapore (2019)Google Scholar
- 12.Latif, A., Das, D.C., Barik, A.K., Ranjan, S.: Maiden co-ordinated load frequency control strategy for ST-AWEC-GEC-BDDG based independent three-area interconnected microgrid system with combined effect of diverse energy storage and DC link using BOA optimized PFOID controller. IET Renew. Power Gener. (2019). https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-rpg.2019.0199CrossRefGoogle Scholar