From Opportunity Identification to Concept Generation of Sustainable Modular Buildings
- 130 Downloads
The paper discusses the process that leads to choosing a modular building system and how this has suggested a framework to make the right decision in clarifying the task and in generating and selecting new concepts. After illustrating the genesis of the need to build in a modular way, attention shifts to the criteria for evaluating the characteristics of modular buildings. The evaluation criteria were identified and sorted by category and, after an assessment of what already exists on the market and in literature, the guidelines for the design of a new modular building system were provided. The paper also illustrates some conceptual solutions that have arisen from the application of the identified criteria.
KeywordsSustainable modular buildings MCDA Concept generation Concept assessment Product assessment
The research work reported here has been possible by the financial support of Regione Calabria, through the POR Project CALABRIA FERS FSE 2014-2020 (project acronym: PRIMAB).
- 1.Gössel, P., Cobbers, A., Jahn, O.: Prefab Houses. Taschen, Cologne (Germany) (2010)Google Scholar
- 2.Cascone, S.M., Caporlingua, M., Russo, G., Tomasello, N.: La “prefabbricazione per l’emergenza”: excursus storico dalla nascita alle moderne applicazioni. History of Engineering Storia dell’Ingegneria. In: Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference- Atti del 7° Convegno Nazionale, Cuzzolin, Napoli 2018, pp. 597–605 (2018)Google Scholar
- 3.Lopes Correia, A., Murtinho, V., Simões da Silva, L.: Housing industrialization, success and failure, universal and local: limits for housing globalization. In: Cruz, P.J. (ed.) Structures and Architecture: Concepts Applications and Challenges, pp. 999–1006. Taylor & Francis Group, London (2013)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.https://esa.un.org/unpd/wup/publications/files/wup2014-report.pdf. Accessed 15 Apr 2019
- 5.http://wcr.unhabitat.org/main-report/. Accessed 15 Apr 2019
- 7.Mussinelli, E., Tartaglia, A., Di Pasquale, J.: Typological and technological innovation for the application of hybrid systems to housing construction: between technological culture and application testing. TECHNE – J. Technol. Archit. Environ. (13), 287–294 (2017) Google Scholar