Images of Identity: Exploring Local Identity Through Visual Design
- 220 Downloads
The paper describes the investigation our research team carried out during the development of two design-oriented research projects in the area of communication and corporate design. Despite their diversity in size, context and structure both projects – the design of a wide corporate identity framework in the event of Milan’s 2015 EXPO and an exhibit of crafts hosted at the Triennale during Milan’s 2017 design week – have given us a unique opportunity to investigate an approach to territorial promotion based on conveying, through various design strategies and tailored artifacts, identity at a regional level in the rapidly transforming scenario of contemporary communication.
As we are in the first place a research unit and both projects intersected areas of research work that we had been previously confronted with and are central to our investigation interests we managed, beyond the immediate satisfaction of the communication needs of our commissioners, to direct our work both in a stimulating and productive directions.
KeywordsIdentity design Exhibit design Visual design Hybrid design
- Bernardi, S.: L’avventura del cinematografo. Marsilio, Venezia (2007)Google Scholar
- Ceccarelli, N.: Tiptoeing into different visual cultures with intentional informative communication. In: Costa Valente, A., Capucho, R. (eds.) Avanca Cinema Conference Proceedings, pp. 1031–1038. Avanca Edicoes Cine-Clube De Avanca (2015)Google Scholar
- De Moragas Spa, M., Rivenburgh, N.K., Larso, J.F.: Television in the Olympics. John Libbey & C, London (1995)Google Scholar
- Forty, A.: Objects of Desire, Design and Economy since 1750. Thames and Hudson, London (1995)Google Scholar
- Olins, W.: Corporate Identity, Making Business Strategy Visible Through Design. Thames and Hudson, London (1989)Google Scholar
- Remington, R.: American Modernism: Graphic Design, 1920–1960. Lawrence King, London (2005)Google Scholar