Investigation of Common Big Data Analytics and Decision-Making Requirements Across Diverse Precision Agriculture and Livestock Farming Use Cases
- 113 Downloads
The purpose of this paper is to present the investigation of common requirements and needs of users across a diverse set of precision agriculture and livestock farming use cases that was based on a series of interviews with experts and farmers. The requirements were based on nine interviews that were conducted in order to identify common requirements and challenges in terms of data collection and management, Big Data technologies, High Performance Computing infrastructure and decision making. The common requirements that derived from the interviews and user requirement analysis per use case can serve as basis for identifying functional and non-functional requirements of a technological solution of high re-usability, interoperability, adaptability and overall efficiency in terms of addressing common needs for precision agriculture and livestock farming.
KeywordsPrecision agriculture Livestock farming Big data analytics Decision-making User requirements
This work has been co-funded by the CYBELE project, a European Commission research program under H2020-825355. We are particularly grateful to the interviewees from the nine CYBELE case study demonstrators.
- 1.Schimmelpfennig, D.: Farm profits and adoption of precision agriculture (No. 1477-2016-121190) (2016)Google Scholar
- 2.Schimmelpfennig, D., Ebel, R.: Sequential adoption and cost savings from precision agriculture. J. Agric. Resour. Econ. 41(1835-2016-149552), 97-115 (2016)Google Scholar
- 7.Bendre, M.R., Thool, R.C., Thool, V.R.: Big data in precision agriculture: weather forecasting for future farming. In: 2015 1st International Conference on Next Generation Computing Technologies (NGCT), pp. 744–750. IEEE, September 2015Google Scholar
- 9.Wolf, J., Bhandari, S., Raheja, A.: Unmanned aerial vehicles for precision agriculture in Orchard crops (2017)Google Scholar
- 10.Gevaert, C.M., Suomalainen, J., Tang, J., Kooistra, L.: Generation of spectral–temporal response surfaces by combining multispectral satellite and hyperspectral UAV imagery for precision agriculture applications. IEEE J. Sel. Top. Appl. Earth Obs. Remote Sens. 8(6), 3140–3146 (2015)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.van der Heide, E.M.M., Veerkamp, R.F., van Pelt, M.L., Kamphuis, C., Athanasiadis, I., Ducro, B.J.: Comparing regression, naive Bayes, and random forest methods in the prediction of individual survival to second lactation in Holstein cattle. J. Dairy Sci. 102(10), 9409–9421 (2019). https://doi.org/10.3168/jds.2019-1629CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.Lant, M.: How to easily prioritize your agile stories (2010). https://michaellant.com/2010/05/21/how-to-easily-prioritize-your-agile-stories/