Formation of Public–Private Partnerships by Local Emergency Managers
- 10 Downloads
In 2010, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) initiated its Whole Community doctrine intended to elaborate on the necessity of non-governmental entity involvement in disaster. As an outgrowth of the Whole Community approach there has been a focus on partnerships with the private sector—presumably to piggyback on the success associated with effective management and logistics in the post-disaster environment. FEMA now provides a series of resources and training modules intended to assist in the establishment and maintenance of these community partnerships yet much of their approach still relies on top-down mandates and models. This paper explores the role of local emergency management in forming these public–private partnerships and in managing the oft competing motives of regulation, partnerships, and local disaster management.
- Chamlee-Wright, E.L., and V.H. Storr. 2008. The Entrepreneur’s Role in Post-Disaster Community Recovery: Implications for Post-Disaster Recovery Policy. Mercatus Policy Series, Policy Primer No. 6: 1–11. https://doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.1350513.
- Chandra, A., S. Moen, and C. Sellers. 2016. What Role Does the Private Sector Have in Supporting Disaster Recovery, and What Challenges Does It Face in Doing So? RAND Corporation Perspective: 1–24. https://www.rand.org/pubs/perspectives/PE187.html.
- Crabill, A.L. 2015. The Effects of Federal Financial Assistance: Attitudes and Actions of Local Emergency Managers. University of Delaware Thesis. http://udspace.udel.edu/handle/19716/17054.
- Crabill, A.L., and Y. Rademacher. 2012. Breaking the Cycle of Reliance on Federal Help After Disasters. Emergency Management Magazine.Google Scholar
- Feldmann-Jensen, S., S. Jensen, and S.M. Smith. 2017. The Next Generation Core Competencies for Emergency Management Professionals: Handbook of Behavioral Anchors and Key Actions for Measurement. Washington, DC: FEMA Higher Education Program. https://training.fema.gov/hiedu/docs/emcompetencies/final_%20ngcc_and_measures_aug2017.pdf
- FEMA. 1996. The Project Impact Guidebook. Washington, DC: Federal Emergency Management Agency. https://training.fema.gov/hiedu/docs/hazriskmanage/hazards%20risk%20mgmt%20-%20session%204%20-%20project%20impact%20guidebook.pdfGoogle Scholar
- FEMA. 2012. Citizen Corps Council Registration and Profile Data: FY2011 National Report. Washington, DC: Federal Emergency Management Agency. https://s3-us-gov-west-1.amazonaws.com/dam-production/uploads/20130726-1854-25045-2121/citizen_corps_councils_final_report_9_27_2012.pdf
- FEMA. 2015. Public Private Partnership Models. FEMA.gov. https://www.fema.gov/public-private-partnership-models.
- FEMA. 2016. Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act, as Amended, and Related Authorities as of August 2016, Public Law 93–288. Washington, DC: Federal Emergency Management Agency. https://www.fema.gov/media-library/assets/documents/15271.Google Scholar
- Gais, T.L. 2010. Federalism During the Obama Administration. Presented at the 27th Annual Conference of the National Federation of Municipal Analysts. https://rockinst.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/2010-05-07-federalism_during_obama_administration-min.pdf.
- GAO. 2014. Education Grants: Promise Neighborhoods Promotes Collaboration but Needs National Evaluation Plan. US Government Accountability Office Report GAO-14-432, 1–55. https://www.gao.gov/products/gao-14-432.
- Garrels-Bates, M. 2018. Using the Fire Service to Build Community Engagement. Naval Postgraduate School Thesis. https://www.hsdl.org/?view&did=811398.
- Greve, M.S. 2000. Against Cooperative Federalism. Mississippi Law Journal 70 (2): 557–623.Google Scholar
- Husock, H. 2013. Politicizing Philanthropy: A White House Program Blurs the Line between Government Action and Private Charity. City Journal (Winter), n.p. https://www.city-journal.org/html/politicizing-philanthropy-13535.html.
- IAEM. 2018. IAEM-USA Legislative Priorities. Falls Church, VA: US Council of International Association of Emergency Managers. http://www.iaem.com/documents/IAEM-Legislative-Priorities-Summer2018.pdf.Google Scholar
- IAEM. n.d. Emergency Management: Definition, Vision, Mission, Principles. Falls Church, VA: US Council of International Association of Emergency Managers. http://www.iaem.com/documents/Principles-of-Emergency-Management-Flyer.pdf.
- Kania, J., and M. Kramer. 2011. Collective Impact. Stanford Social Innovation Review, Winter, 36–41. https://ssir.org/articles/entry/collective_impact.
- Lacey, J.B. 2015. Victoria Partners in Preparedness. FEMA.gov. https://www.fema.gov/pdf/privatesector/ppp_victoria_county.pdf
- Lovell, C.H. 1981. Evolving Local Government Dependency. Public Administration Review 41 (Special Issue: The Impact of Resource Scarcity on Urban Public Finance): 189–202.Google Scholar
- Mayer, M. 2009. States: Stop Subsidizing FEMA Waste and Manage Your Own Local Disasters. The Heritage Foundation Backgrounder No. 2323, 1–9. https://www.heritage.org/homeland-security/report/states-stop-subsidizing-fema-waste-and-manage-your-own-local-disasters.
- Mid-Atlantic Center for Emergency Management at Frederick Community College. 2018. Maturing Public-Private Partnerships Workshops. Frederick, MD: Mid-Atlantic Center for Emergency Management. https://macematfcc.wordpress.com/category/p3/.
- NEMA. n.d. NEMA’s Role in Washington. National Emergency Management Association, n.p. https://www.nemaweb.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=220&Itemid=402.
- O’Keefe, E. 2011. Origins of the ‘Federal Family.’ The Washington Post, August 29, Washington D.C.: https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/federal-eye/post/origins-of-the-federal-family/2011/08/29/gIQALov8mJ_blog.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.e16cbb41d04b.
- Sankaran, V. 2007. Innovation Held Hostage: Has Federal Intervention Stifled Efforts to Reform the Child Welfare System? University of Michigan Journal of Law Reform 41 (1): 281–315.Google Scholar
- Sobelson, R.K., C.J. Wigington, V. Harp, and B.B. Bronson. 2015. A Whole Community Approach to Emergency Management: Strategies and Best Practices of Seven Community Programs. Journal of Emergency Management 13 (4): 349–357. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5582971/.
- Waugh, W.L. 1991. Coordination or Control: Organizational Design and the Emergency Management Function. Presented at the UCLA International Conference on the Impact of Natural Disasters, University of California, Los Angeles. http://220.127.116.11/docum/crid/Septiembre-Octubre2005/CD-1/pdf/eng/doc6414/doc6414-contenido.pdf.
- Yoo, J. 2005. What Became of Federalism? Los Angeles Times, June 21, n.p. http://articles.latimes.com/2005/jun/21/opinion/oe-yoo21.