Sprayer Inspection in Sicily on the Basis of Workshop Activity
- 33 Downloads
The European Directive on the sustainable use of pesticides makes mandatory the functional inspection of pesticide application equipment in all member States by the 26th November 2016. In this paper the inspection activity in Sicily region is analyzed. The test reports produced by each workshop center in the period January 2014–May 2019 have been examined. The analysis allowed knowing, on regional basis, number and type of inspected equipment, spreading of the different models of sprayer and their prevalent use. Moreover, being inspection centers mechanical workshops too, the analysis of test reports allowed knowing the condition of machines when inspected and the main repairs carried out.
KeywordsPesticide application equipment Sustainable use of pesticides National action plan
The activity presented in the paper is part of the research grant “Piano della Ricerca 2016-2018 - UNICT – Innovazioni attraverso applicazioni ICT nel settore delle costruzioni rurali, della pianificazione del territorio agro-forestale e della meccanizzazione della difesa fitosanitaria. WP1 – Sviluppo di tecniche e di applicazioni anche informatiche per l’innovazione nel settore della meccanizzazione della difesa fitosanitaria”. Authors wish to thank Dr. C. Ferrantello and Dr. G. Affrunti of Regional Department of Agriculture of Sicily for having made the data available.
- Allochis, D., Balsari, P., & Marucco, P. (2017). The Italian sprayers inspection situation after the expiry of the deadline set by the national action plan and the directive 2009/128/EC. In 11th International AIIA Conference, 5–8 July 2017. Bari, Italy.Google Scholar
- Cerruto, E., Manetto, G., Santoro, F., & Pascuzzi S. (2018). Operator dermal exposure to pesticides in tomato and strawberry greenhouses from hand-held sprayers. Sustainability, 10(7–2273), 1–21.Google Scholar
- European Commission (2009). Directive 2009/128/EC of the European parliament and of the council of 21 october 2009 establishing a framework for community action to achieve the sustainable use of pesticides. Official Journal, L 309/71, 24/11/2009.Google Scholar
- National Database of Authorized Workshops for Functional Inspection and Adjustment of the Sprayers. http://www.laboratorio-cpt.to.it/authorized-workshops/?lang=en. Accessed 27 May 2019.
- Pessina, D., & Facchinetti, D. (2016). Verifica funzionale e taratura delle macchine per la distribuzione di fitofarmaci. http://users.unimi.it/cirive/incontri-informativi/160413/Pessina160413.pdf.
- R Core Team (2013). R: A language and environment for statistical computing. In R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. http://www.R-project.org/.
- Sicily Region (2014). Implementing provisions of the mandatory and certified training system for professional users, distributors and consultants. D.D.G. no. 6402, 12/12/2014.Google Scholar
- Wehmann, H. J. (2018). Status Quo of Inspection in EU: The Results of SPISE Enquiry. In 7th European Workshop on Standardised Procedure for the Inspection of Sprayers–SPISE 7. Athens, Greece. (September 26–28, 9–22).Google Scholar