On the Performance of a Novel Hybrid Constructed Wetland for Stormwater Treatment and Irrigation Reuse in Mediterranean Climate
- 35 Downloads
Decentralized water treatment facilities (DWFTs) have been described as one of the best practices (BMPs) for promoting effective water management programs in the framework of the circular economy, with the aim to easy the exploitation of freshwater supply. In many Mediterranean regions, wastewater (WW) reuse practice is still struggling for being accepted and it’s clearly affected by legislation gaps and discrepancy among national and European perspectives. This work mainly investigates some issues related to stormwater and conventional WW reuse feasibility for green areas irrigation, after being treated by a pilot hybrid constructed wetland (H-CW) in Mediterranean climate. Experimental results are promising and suggest as viable the reclaimed water use in green area irrigation. Nevertheless, at the light of the EU guidelines proposal, the effluent water quality hereby reported fulfilled the minimum requirements for the intended use above mentioned, but did not fully comply the stringent Italian standards.
KeywordsDecentralized water Treatment Stormwater Reuse Legislation Metals
The research was performed within the international research joint project, WATinTECH (WATERWORKS 2014- ID 196), and “GREENWATER—Le infrastrutture verdi per la gestione e la tutela delle risorse idriche” (PRIN 2015 Programme) (grant N. PRIN2015 AKR4HX), both funded by the Italian Ministry of University and Research.
- ANZECC. (2000). Australian and New Zealand guidelines for fresh and marine water quality. (Australian Water Association).Google Scholar
- Bonadonna, L., Briancesco, R., D’Angelo, A. M., & Marini, R. (2002). Clostridium perfringens as an environmental pollution indicator and its hygienic role. Istituto Superiore di Sanità, 39 p. Rapporti ISTISAN 02/8.Google Scholar
- EC, European Commission (2019). http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-19-1475_en.htm. Accessed 08 July 2019.
- EU, European Union (2018). http://ec.europa.eu/environment/water/pdf/water_reuse_regulation.pdf448. Accessed June 7, 2018.
- FAO (1994). http://www.fao.org/3/T0234e/T0234E04.htm. Accessed 08 July 2019.
- Legislative Decree 152. (2006). Decreto Legislativo 3 aprile 2006, n.152, ‘Normative requirements on the environment’, GU n. 88, April 14th 2006.Google Scholar
- Masi, F., Rizzo, A., & Regelsberger, M. (2018). The role of constructed wetlands in a new circular economy, resource oriented, and ecosystem services paradigm. Journal of Environmental Management, 216, 275–284.Google Scholar
- Ministerial Decree 185. (2003). Decreto Ministeriale 12 giugno 2003, n. 185. ‘Technical standards for wastewater reuse’, GU n. 169, July 23th 2003.Google Scholar
- Ventura, D., Barbagallo, S., Consoli, S., Ferrante, M., Milani, M., Licciardello, F., et al. (2019b). On the performance of a pilot hybrid constructed wetland for stormwater recovery in Mediterranean climate. Water Science and Technology, 79(6), 1051–1059. https://doi.org/10.2166/wst.2019.103.CrossRefGoogle Scholar