Review of Life Cycle Impact Assessment (LCIA) Methods and Inventory Databases
- 352 Downloads
In this chapter, a wide range of Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) methods, new initiative for reducing emissions and improving resource efficiency, and Product Environmental Footprint are examined, in order to introduce the research tendency in this filed and clarify the differences among these Life Cycle Impact Assessment (LCIA) methods. The LCIA methods are broadly categorized as resource based and emission based. Life Cycle Inventory (LCI) database are also investigated, and the features of the generic LCI database are presented. The data formats of the ecoinvent database are deeply examined, with the aim of clarifying the attributes, types of each data components to help users to understand the role of inventory database in the practices.
KeywordsLife cycle assessment Life cycle impact assessment method Environmental product declarations Product environmental footprint Life cycle inventory Life cycle inventory database EcoSpold
The authors acknowledge the support received from the CIRC4Life project (Grant agreement number: 776503) supported by the European Commission’s Circular Economy programme.
- Bare, J. (2011). TRACI 2.0: The tool for the reduction and assessment of chemical and other environmental impacts 2.0. Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy, 13(5), 687–696.Google Scholar
- BSI, British Standard Institution. (2011). Specification for the assessment of the life cycle greenhouse gas emissions of goods and services. London.Google Scholar
- Bulle, C., et al. (2014). Comparing IMPACT World+ with other LCIA methodologies at end-point level using the Stepwise weighting factors. Retrieved 21 April, 2016, from http://lca-net.com/files/Poster-SETAC-Basel-Bulle-et-al-V2.pdf.
- Ciroth, A. (2014). openLCA 1.4 overview and first steps (pp. 1–31). Retrieved 15 December, 2015, from http://www.openlca.org/documents/14826/0/openLCA_1+4_overview_and_first_steps_v1.pdf.
- E, M. R., et al. (2013). ecoEditor–ecoinvent. Retrieved 12 February, 2017, from http://www.ecoinvent.org/data-provider/data-provider-toolkit/ecoeditor/ecoeditor.html.
- EarthShift. (2015). DataSmart life cycle inventory. Retrieved 27 April, 2016, from http://earthshiftsustainability.com/services/software/datasmart-life-cycle-inventory/.
- ecoinvent. (n.d.). ecoEditor for ecoinvent version 3 ecoinvent, ed. ecoinvent. Retrieved 12 March, 2017, from http://www.ecoinvent.org/data-provider/data-provider-toolkit/ecospold2/ecospold2.html.
- European Commission. (2011a). Analysis of existing environmental footprint methodologies for products and organizations: Recommendations, rationale, and alignment (pp. 1–61). Retrieved 20 April, 2016a, from http://ec.europa.eu/environment/eussd/pdf/Deliverable.pdf.
- European Commission. (2011b). International reference life cycle data system (ILCD) handbook-framework and requirements for life cycle impact assessment models and indicators (pp. 1–116). Retrieved 19 December, 2015b, from http://eplca.jrc.ec.europa.eu/uploads/ILCD-Handbook-LCIA-Framework-Requirements-ONLINE-March-2010-ISBN-fin-v1.0-EN.pdf.
- European Commission. (2012). Options for resource efficiency indicators. Retrieved 26 December, 2016, from http://ec.europa.eu/environment/consultations/pdf/consultation_resource.pdf.
- European Commission. (2006a). Impact assessment guidelines (pp. 1–49). Retrieved 15 December, 2015, from http://www.funzionepubblica.gov.it/media/263857/2005_impact_assessment.pdf.pdf.
- European Commission. (2016b). Single market for green products-the product environmental footprint pilots-environment-European commission. Retrieved 26 December, 2016, from http://ec.europa.eu/environment/eussd/smgp/ef_pilots.htm.
- Fantke, P., et al. (2015). USEtox 2.0 user manual (Version2) (pp. 1–30). Retrieved 21 April, 2016, from http://usetox.org.
- Finkbeiner, M. ed., (2011). Towards life cycle sustainability management. Springer Science & Business Media.Google Scholar
- Garcia, R., & Freire, F. (2014). Carbon footprint of particleboard: A comparison between ISO/TS 14067, GHG Protocol, PAS 2050 and Climate Declaration. Journal of Cleaner Production, 66(C), 199–209.Google Scholar
- Goedkoop, M., et al. (2009). ReCiPe 2008. A life cycle impact assessment method which comprises harmonised category indicators at the midpoint and the endpoint level; First edition Report I: Characterisation; 6 January 2009. http://www.lcia-recipe.net.
- Hischier, R., et al. (2010). Implementation of life cycle impact assessment methods data, v2.2 (2010), ecoinvent report No. 3. Retrieved 20 April, 2016, from https://www.ecoinvent.org/files/201007_hischier_weidema_implementation_of_lcia_methods.pdf.
- IMPACT World. (2016). IMPACT World. Retrieved 29 June, 2016, from http://www.impactworldplus.org/en/index.php.
- ISO. (2006a). 14040: Environmental management–life cycle assessment–principles and framework. London: British Standards Institution.Google Scholar
- ISO. (2006b). ISO 14044: Environmental management-life cycle assessment-requirements and guidelines. International Organization for Standardization.Google Scholar
- Kerkhof, A., et al. (2017) Evaluation report: Technical evaluation of the EU EF pilot phase. Available at: http://ec.europa.eu/environment/eussd/smgp/pdf/HD_pilot_eval_final.pdf.
- LC-IMPACT. (2016). LC-IMPACT. Retrieved 24 July, 2016, from http://www.lc-impact.eu/.
- Li, T., et al. (2013). Environmental emissions and energy consumptions assessment of a diesel engine from the life cycle perspective. Journal of Cleaner Production, 53(C), 7–12.Google Scholar
- Manfredi, S., et al. (2012). Product Environmental Footprint (PEF) Guide. Retrieved 26 December, 2016, from http://ec.europa.eu/environment/eussd/pdf/footprint/PEF%20methodology%20final%20draft.pdf.
- Pelletier, N., et al. (2012). Organisation Environmental Footprint (OEF) Guide. Retrieved 26 December, 2016, from http://ec.europa.eu/environment/eussd/pdf/footprint/OEF%20Guide_final_July%202012_clean%20version.pdf.
- PRé. (2012). Life cycle-based sustainability—standards & guidelines (pp. 1–6). Retrieved 20 April, 2016, from https://www.pre-sustainability.com/download/Life-Cycle-Based-Sustainability-Standards-Guidelines.pdf.
- PRé. (2015). SimaPro database manual methods library (pp. 1–82). Retrieved 19 December, 2015, from https://www.pre-sustainability.com/download/DatabaseManualMethods.pdf.
- Skarvelis-Kazakos, S., Cipcigan, L. M., & Jenkins, N. (2009). Micro-generation for 2050: Life-cycle carbon footprint of micro-generation sources. In 2009 Proceedings of the 44th International on Universities Power Engineering Conference (UPEC) (pp. 1–5). IEEE.Google Scholar
- Suh, S., et al. (2013). Interoperability between ecoinvent ver. 3 and US LCI database: A case study. The International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment, 1–9.Google Scholar
- Weidema, B. P., et al. (2013). Overview and methodology: Data quality guideline for the ecoinvent database version 3. Swiss Centre for Life Cycle Inventories.Google Scholar
- Whittaker, C., McManus, M. C., & Smith, P. (2013). A comparison of carbon accounting tools for arable crops in the United Kingdom. Environmental Modelling & Software, 46(C), 228–239.Google Scholar
- Wiedmann, T.O., et al. (2015). The material footprint of nations.Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 112(20), 6271–6276.Google Scholar