Approximating Weighted Completion Time for Order Scheduling with Setup Times
Consider a scheduling problem in which jobs need to be processed on a single machine. Each job has a weight and is composed of several operations belonging to different families. The machine needs to perform a setup between the processing of operations of different families. A job is completed when its latest operation completes and the goal is to minimize the total weighted completion time of all jobs.
We study this problem from the perspective of approximability and provide constant factor approximations as well as an inapproximability result. Prior to this work, only the NP-hardness of the unweighted case and the polynomial solvability of a certain special case were known.
KeywordsOrder scheduling Multioperation jobs Total completion time Approximation Setup times
- 4.Bansal, N., Khot, S.: Optimal long code test with one free bit. In: Proceedings of the 50th Annual IEEE Symposium on Foundations of Computer Science (FOCS), pp. 453–462. IEEE (2009)Google Scholar
- 11.Happe, M., Meyer auf der Heide, F., Kling, P., Platzner, M., Plessl, C.: On-the-fly computing: a novel paradigm for individualized IT services. In: Proceedings of the 16th IEEE International Symposium on Object/Component/Service-Oriented Real-Time Distributed Computing (ISORC), pp. 1–10. IEEE Computer Society (2013)Google Scholar
- 12.Jansen, K., Klein, K., Maack, M., Rau, M.: Empowering the configuration-IP-new PTAS results for scheduling with setups times. In: Proceedings of the 10th Innovations in Theoretical Computer Science Conference (ITCS). LIPIcs, vol. 124, pp. 1–19. Schloss Dagstuhl - Leibniz-Zentrum fuer Informatik (2019)Google Scholar
- 13.Jansen, K., Maack, M., Mäcker, A.: Scheduling on (un-)related machines with setup times. In: Proceedings of the 2019 IEEE International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS), pp. 145–154. IEEE Computer Society (2019)Google Scholar
- 17.Mäcker, A., Meyer auf der Heide, F., Pukrop, S.: Approximating weighted completion time for order scheduling with setup times. arXiv e-prints arXiv:1910.08360, October 2019