Capabilities, Human Security and the Centrality of Sustainability
- 30 Downloads
This chapter provides the background for the book tracing the history of the capabilities approach in Sen and Nussbaum’s work. It provides an introductory overall framework both to the capability and human security approaches. It argues that both Sen and Nussbaum should take on the topic of sustainability as it entails fundamental shifts in the way we understand the capability approach, not least in relation to future generations. The chapter also outlines the book as a whole.
- Alkire, S. (2005). Valuing Freedoms. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Boni, A., & Walker, M. (Eds.). (2012). Human Development and Capabilities: Re-imagining the University of the XXI Century. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Clark, D. A. (2005). The Capability Approach: Its Development, Critiques and Recent Advances e Capability Approach: Its Development, Critiques and Recent Advances, 1–18. Retrieved from http://economics.ouls.ox.ac.uk/14051/1/gprg-wps-032.pdf.
- Comim, F., & Nussbaum, M. (Eds.). (2014). Capabilities, Gender, Equality: Toward Fundamental Entitlements. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Deneulin, S. (2008). Beyond Individual Freedom and Agency: Structures of Living Together in Sen’s Capability Approach to Development. In S. Alkire, F. Comim, & M. Qizilbash (Eds.), The Capability Approach: Concepts, Measures and Application (pp. 105–124). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9780511492587.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Deneulin, S. (2009). Advancing Human Development: Values, Groups, Power and Conflict. Wellbeing in Developing Countries (WeD) Working Papers; No. WeD Working Paper 09/49. Bath: University of Bath/Wellbeing in Developing Countries Research Group.Google Scholar
- Gomez, O.A., Gasper, D., & Mine, Y. (2013). Good Practices in Addressing Human Security Through National Human Development Reports. Report for UNDP Human Development Report Office and UN Trust Fund for Human Security. HDRO Occasional Paper. Retrieved from http://hdr.undp.org/sites/default/files/good_practices.pdf.
- Khader, S., & Kosko, S. (2018). ‘Reason to Value,’ Perfectionism, and the Process Aspect of Freedom. In L. Keleher & S. Kosko (Eds.), Agency, Democracy, and Participation in Global Development. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press Cambridge.Google Scholar
- Nussbaum, M. C. (2001). Women and Human Development: The Capabilities Approach. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Nussbaum, M. C. (2006). Frontiers of Justice. Cumberland, RI: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Pachauri, R. K., Allen, M. R., Barros, V. R., Broome, J., Cramer, W., Christ, R., ... & Dubash, N. K. (2014). Climate Change 2014: Synthesis Report. Contribution of Working Groups I, II and III to the fifth assessment report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, IPCC.Google Scholar
- Robeyns, I. (2016). Having Too Much. In NOMOS LVI: Wealth. Yearbook of the American Society for Political and Legal Philosophy. New York: New York University Press.Google Scholar
- Rockström, J., Steffen, W., Noone, K., Persson, Å., Chapin III, F. S., Lambin, E. F., …, & Nykvist, B. (2009). A Safe Operating Space for Humanity. Nature, 461(7263), 472.Google Scholar
- Sen, A. (1993). Capability and Well-Being. In M. Nussbaum & A. Sen (Eds.), The Quality of Life. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Sen, A. (1994). Sustainable Human Development: Concepts and Priorities. United Nations Development Programme.Google Scholar
- United Nations. (1948). Universal Declaration of Human Rights. A/RES/217(III). New York and Paris: United Nations.Google Scholar
- United Nations. (1994). Human Development Report 1994. Retrieved May 27, 2019, from http://hdr.undp.org/sites/default/files/reports/255/hdr_1994_en_complete_nostats.pdf.
- United Nations. (2012). General Assembly Resolution on Human Security. A/RES/66/290. Retrieved from www.un.org/humansecurity/content/un-secretary-general-reports-human-security
- Walker, M. (2006). Higher Education Pedagogies. A Capabilities Approach. Maidenhead: Open University Press.Google Scholar