A Teaching Experiment on a Knowledge-Network-Based Online Translation Learning Platform
- 20 Downloads
This paper aims to elaborate on the design and application of an online platform as a knowledge-network-based system for online teaching/(self-)learning of translation in/between English and Chinese. We have two purposes for this research: first, to obtain a good understanding of translation trainees’ learning behaviors in the corpus-assisted and knowledge-network-based translation learning setting, in the hope that sufficient data will be collected to draw a model of knowledge-network-based learning. Equally important is our second purpose, which is to initiate a more systematic and in-depth data-based empirical investigation into teaching designs for knowledge-based translation learning. This research conducts an experiment on how teachers can use knowledge nodes to organize online translation learning and how students perceive knowledge-network-based learning. The experiment reveals a rising trend of students’ translation quality and they generally hold a positive attitude towards this learning model. Based on theoretical discussions of the platform design rationale and the findings from the teaching experiment, this paper explores how the knowledge-network-based translation learning can assist students in forming more efficient translation learning strategies.
KeywordsKnowledge network Online translation learning Corpus-based translation teaching
The work was substantially supported by The National Social Science Fund of China (Project No. 19BYY125).
- 1.Gao, J., Ding, K., Pan, Y., Yuan, J.: Analysis of the research status of knowledge network at home and abroad. Inf. Stud. Theor. Appl. 38(9), 120–125 (2015)Google Scholar
- 2.Cai, B., Chen, G., Huang, X.: International research on knowledge network: present situation, hotspot and trend — bibliometrics analyzing based on web of science. J. Xidian Univ. (Social Science Edition). 27(4), 40–51 (2017)Google Scholar
- 3.Yang, X., Li, W., Gu, Y.: Research on the construction of knowledge element based teaching resources organization model. Documentation, Inf. Knowl. 1, 101–107 (2016)Google Scholar
- 4.Yu, S., Duan, J., Cui, J.: A double spiral deep learning model based on learning cell platform. Modern Distance Education Research. (6), 37–47 + 56 (2017)Google Scholar
- 5.Yan, Z., Li, M.: Technological pedagogical and content knowledge network — a new knowledge framework for teachers in information age. China Educ. Technol. 4, 58–63 (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.Cao, L.: Studies on learning path and learning behavior characteristics in online learning. Distance Educ. China 4, 25–30 (2014)Google Scholar
- 8.Zhu, Y., Chen, J.: The theoretical conception and engineering practice of a corpus-based computer-assisted translation. Technol. Enhanced Foreign Lang. Educ. 4, 52–57 (2015)Google Scholar
- 9.Zhu, C., Mu, Y.: Towards a textual accountability-driven mode of teaching and (self-) learning for translation and bilingual writing: with special reference to a CityU online teaching platform. Chin. Translators J. 2, 56–62 (2013)Google Scholar