Modular Design of Electronic Appliances for Reliability Enhancement in a Circular Economy Perspective
- 10 Downloads
The design of electronic systems must consider the possibility of their repair, reuse and recycle, in order to reduce the waste. In this paper, we present a design methodology for modularization of electronic appliances which optimize its end of life cost. The optimization algorithm is based on the partitioning of electronic components by mean of simulated annealing optimization, and it has been applied to the design of a real industrial test case.
KeywordsReliability Reuse Recycle WEEE End-of-life
The authors would like to thank Andrea Vesprini and Andrea Medori of VEGA company. The work presented is part of a regional RAEEcovery project supported by EU funding (https://www.raeecovery.com).
- 1.Rifer W, Brody-Heine P, Peters A, Linnell J (2009) Closing the loop—electronics design to enhance reuse/recycling value. The Green Electronic Council in collaboration with the National Center for Electronics Recycling and Resource RecyclingsGoogle Scholar
- 2.Park J, Bae S (2010) Direct prediction methods on lifetime distribution of organic light-emitting diodes from accelerated degradation test. IEEE Trans Reliab 59(1):74–90Google Scholar
- 3.Rudiger R, Hohaus C, Uriarte A, Ibanez N, Guarde D, Marquinez I, Manjon D, Kovacs P (2012) Towards efficient end-of-life processes of electrical and electronic waste with passive RF communication. IEEE Electron Goes GreenGoogle Scholar
- 4.Xia K, Gao L, Chao K-M, Wang L (2015) A cloud-based disassembly planning approach towards sustainable management of WEEE. In: IEEE 12th international conference on e-business engineeringGoogle Scholar
- 5.Capecci S, Cassisi E, Granatiero G, Scavongelli C, Orcioni S, Conti M (2017) Cloud-based system for waste electrical and electronic equipment. In: 2017 13th workshop on intelligent solutions in embedded systems, WISES 2017, pp 41–46Google Scholar
- 7.Smith S, Smith G, Chen W (2012) Disassembly sequence structure graphs: an optimal approach for multiple-target selective disassembly sequence planning. Adv Eng Inf 26:306–316Google Scholar
- 8.Smith S, Hung P (2012) A parallel disassembly method for green product design. In: Proceedings of IEEE conference 2012 electronics goes green 2012+, 9–12 Sept 2012, Berlin, GermanyGoogle Scholar
- 10.Rausand M, Hoyland A (2004) System reliability theory: models, statistical methods and applications. WileyGoogle Scholar