Deterrence and Dialogue: The US–South Korea Alliance in Search of a New Lease of Life in the Face of Kim Jong-Un’s “Nuclear Diplomacy”
- 32 Downloads
This chapter addresses the US strategic posture in Northeast Asia, the implications of the North Korean nuclear and missile programs and the challenges of extended deterrence commitments for the US–South Korea security relations. It draws on a comparative approach between the US–NATO and US–South Korea Alliances, analyzing the diplomatic, operational, and tactical dimensions of deterrence in both cases. It also examines the difficulties of a “strategic trilateralism” linking the USA, South Korea, and Japan mainly due to the persistence of historical issues.
- Cha, Victor. Powerplay: The Origins of the American Alliance System in Asia. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2016.Google Scholar
- Dalton, Toby, et al. “South Korea Debates Nuclear Options.” Carnegie Endowment for International Peace, April 27, 2016. https://carnegieendowment.org/2016/04/27/south-korea-debates-nuclear-options/ixn3.
- Green, Michael. By More Than Providence: Grand Strategy and American Power in the Asia Pacific Since 1783. New York: Columbia University Press, 2017.Google Scholar
- Halperin, Morton, Peter Hayes, and Leon Sigal. “A Korean Nuclear Weapons-Free Zone Treaty and Nuclear Extended Deterrence: Options for Denuclearizing the Korean Peninsula.” Napsnet Special Reports, April 12, 2018. https://nautilus.org/napsnet/napsnet-special-reports/a-korean-nuclear-weapons-free-zone-treaty-and-nuclear-extended-deterrence-options-for-denuclearizing-the-korean-peninsula/.
- Katzianis, Harry J., et al. “How North Korea Perceives—and Respond—to US–South Korea Joint Military Exercises,” National Interest, August 1, 2019. https://nationalinterest.org/blog/korea-watch/how-north-korea-perceives—and-responds—-us-south-korea-joint-military-exercises.
- Litwack, Robert. “Nuclear Crises with North Korea and Iran: From Transformational to Transactional Diplomacy.” Wooddrow Wilson Center, October 2019. https://www.wilsoncenter.org/sites/default/files/book_downloads/nuclear_crises_north_korea_iran.pdf.
- Meijer, Hugo, ed. Origins and Evolution of the U.S. Rebalance Toward Asia: Diplomatic, Military, and Economic Dimensions. New York: Palgrave, 2015.Google Scholar
- U.S. Department of Defense. “Indo-Pacific Strategy Report. Preparedness, Partnerships and Promoting a Networked Region.” June 1, 2019.Google Scholar
- Whun, Cheong-Seong. “Redeploying American Tactical Nuclear Weapons to Counter North Korea’s Nuclear Monopoly.” Asan Report, December 2018. http://en.asaninst.org/contents/redeploying-american-tactical-nuclear-weapons-to-counter-north-koreas-nuclear-monopoly-2/.