The Evolving Transatlantic Link: What European Response? Disentangling the European Security Debate
- 29 Downloads
Europe’s security is heavily dependent on the United States. Even beyond NATO, the United States is a key player in European security through its bilateral engagement with numerous European states. Against that backdrop, a changing transatlantic relationship has considerable implications for European security. This is the context in which European defense cooperation will need to find answers to an ever more challenging security environment. Yet there is no single “European” reading of the situation. Instead, Europeans are stuck in debates with various capitals talking past each other, rather than addressing the Grand Strategy issues at hand. This chapter intends to provide an overview of these implications and debates and seeks to identify the issues that ought to be on Europe’s (future) agenda.
- Drent, Margriet, Eric Wilms, and Dick Zandee. “Making Sense of European Defense.” Clingendael Report, December 2017. https://www.clingendael.org/sites/default/files/2017-12/Making_Sense_of_European_Defence.pdf.
- Drent, Margriet. “European Strategic Autonomy: Going It Alone?” Clingendael Policy Brief, August 2018. https://www.clingendael.org/sites/default/files/2018-08/PB_European_Strategic_Autonomy.pdf.
- Gotkowska, Justyna. “The CSDP’s Renaissance: Challenges and Opportunities for the Eastern Flank.” OSW Commentary 243, June 28, 2017. https://www.osw.waw.pl/en/publikacje/osw-commentary/2017-06-28/csdps-renaissance-challenges-and-opportunities-eastern-flank.
- Haroche, Pierre. “Supranationalism Strikes Back: A Neofunctionalist Account of the European Defence Fund.” Journal of European Public Policy, April 26, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1080/13501763.2019.1609570.
- Kunz, Barbara. “Why Franco-German Leadership on European Defense Is Not in Sight.” NUPI Policy Policy Brief 10, 2019. https://nupi.brage.unit.no/nupi-xmlui/bitstream/handle/11250/2599512/NUPI_Policy_Brief_10_2019_Kunz-2.pdf?sequence=2&isAllowed=y.
- Lord, Ellen M. and Andrea L. Thompson. “Letter to High Representative Federica Mogherini.” May 1, 2019. https://int.nyt.com/data/documenthelper/1073-19-5-1-02-letter-to-hrvp-moghe/6cdebd319d226b532785/optimized/full.pdf#page=1.
- Mauro, Frédéric. “Strategic Autonomy Under the Spotlight: The New Holy Grail of European Defence.” GRIP Report 2018/1. https://www.grip.org/sites/grip.org/files/RAPPORTS/2018/Rapport_2018-1_EN.pdf.
- Talaga, Andrzej. “Macron’s Visions Are Suicidal for Poland.” Euractiv, October 4, 2017. https://www.euractiv.com/section/defence-policy/opinion/macrons-defence-visions-are-suicidal-for-poland/.
- Tertrais, Bruno. “The European Dimension of Nuclear Deterrence: French and British Policies and Future Scenarios.” FIIA Working Paper 106, November 2018. https://www.fiia.fi/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/wp106_tertrais_european_nuclear_deterrence.pdf.