Exorcising the Demon: Angel, Efficient Node-Centric Community Discovery
Community discovery is one of the most challenging tasks in social network analysis. During the last decades, several algorithms have been proposed with the aim of identifying communities in complex networks, each one searching for mesoscale topologies having different and peculiar characteristics. Among such vast literature, an interesting family of Community Discovery algorithms, designed for the analysis of social network data, is represented by overlapping, node-centric approaches. In this work, following such line of research, we propose Angel, an algorithm that aims to lower the computational complexity of previous solutions while ensuring the identification of high-quality overlapping partitions. We compare Angel, both on synthetic and real-world datasets, against state of the art community discovery algorithms designed for the same community definition. Our experiments underline the effectiveness and efficiency of the proposed methodology, confirmed by its ability to constantly outperform the identified competitors.
KeywordsComplex network analysis Community discovery
This work is partially supported by the European Community’s H2020 Program under the funding scheme “INFRAIA-1-2014-2015: Research Infrastructures” grant agreement 654024, http://www.sobigdata.eu, “SoBigData”.
- 1.Amoretti, M., Ferrari, A., Fornacciari, P., Mordonini, M, Rosi, F., Tomaiuolo, M.: Local-first algorithms for community detection. In: KDWeb (2016)Google Scholar
- 4.Coscia, M., Rossetti, G., Giannotti, F., Pedreschi, D.: Demon: a local-first discovery method for overlapping communities. In: International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, pp. 615–623. ACM (2012)Google Scholar
- 5.Epasto, A., Lattanzi, S., Paes Leme, R.: Ego-splitting framework: from non-overlapping to overlapping clusters. In: SIGKDD, pp. 145–154. ACM (2017)Google Scholar
- 12.Moradi, F., Olovsson, T., Tsigas, P.: A local seed selection algorithm for overlapping community detection. In: ASONAM. IEEE (2014)Google Scholar
- 16.Rossetti, G., Pappalardo, L., Kikas, R., Pedreschi, D., Giannotti, F., Dumas, M.: Community-centric analysis of user engagement in Skype social network. In: ASONAM. ACM (2015)Google Scholar
- 17.Rossetti, G., Pappalardo, L., Rinzivillo, S.: A novel approach to evaluate community detection algorithms on ground truth. In: Complex Networks (2016)Google Scholar
- 18.Rossetti, G., Pedreschi, D., Giannotti, F.: Node-centric community discovery: from static to dynamic social network analysis. OSNEM 3, 32–48 (2017)Google Scholar
- 19.Soundarajan, S., Hopcroft, J.E.: Use of local group information to identify communities in networks. Trans. Knowl. Discov. Data 9, 21 (2015)Google Scholar