Start-up and the Results of the Volunteer Computing Project RakeSearch
In this paper we describe the experience of setting up a computational infrastructure based on BOINC middleware and running a volunteer computing project on its basis. The project is aimed at characterizing the space of diagonal Latin squares of order 9 in the form of an ensemble of orthogonality graphs, previously not addressed. We implement the search for row-permutational squares orthogonal to an initial one, which allows to reconstruct the full graphs. We provide the developed application to search for orthogonal pairs of the squares and describe the obtained results. The results prove the efficiency of volunteer computing in unveiling the structure of the space of diagonal Latin squares.
KeywordsDesktop Grid Volunteer computing BOINC Orthogonal diagonal Latin squares Orthogonality graph
We would like to thank all volunteers who provided their computers to the project. We thank Daniel (BOINC@Poland team) for developing an optimized search application that allowed to save a lot of computational resources and time. Discussions and advice on the project forum were greatly appreciated too.
This work was supported by the Russian Foundation for Basic Research [grant numbers 18-07-00628_a, 18-37-00094_mol_a and 17-07-00317_a].
- 1.Colbourn, C.J., Dinitz, J.H.: Handbook of Combinatorial Designs, Second Edition (Discrete Mathematics and Its Applications). Chapman & Hall/CRC, Boca Raton (2006)Google Scholar
- 2.Bolshakova, N.S.: About one another application of Latin squares. Vestnik of MSTU 8(1), 170–173 (2005). (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 8.Afanasiev, A.P., Bychkov, I.V., Manzyuk, M.O., Posypkin, M.A., Semenov, A.A., Zaikin, O.S.: Technology for integrating idle computing cluster resources into volunteer computing projects. In: Proceedings of the 5th International Workshop on Computer Science and Engineering, Moscow, Russia, pp. 109–114 (2015)Google Scholar
- 9.Anderson, D.P.: BOINC: a platform for volunteer computing. J Grid Computing (2019)Google Scholar
- 10.Parker, E.T.: Computer investigation of orthogonal Latin squares of order ten. In: Proceeding of Symposia in Applied Mathematics, vol. 15, pp. 73–81 (1963)Google Scholar
- 15.Lin, H.-H., Wu, I-C.: Solving the minimum sudoku poblem. In: 2010 International Conference on Technologies and Applications of Artificial Intelligence, pp. 456–461. IEEE (2010)Google Scholar
- 16.Vatutin, E.I., Zaikin, O.S., Kochemazov, S.E., Valyaev, S.Y.: Using volunteer computing to study some features of diagonal Latin squares. Open Eng. 7(1), 453–460 (2017)Google Scholar
- 17.Vatutin, E.I., Kochemazov, S.E., Zaikin, O.S.: Applying volunteer and parallel computing for enumerating diagonal Latin squares of order 9. In: Sokolinsky, L., Zymbler, M. (eds.) PCT 2017. CCIS, vol. 753, pp. 114–129. Springer, Cham (2017). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-67035-5_9CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Vatutin, E., Belyshev, A., Kochemazov, S., Zaikin, O., Nikitina, N.: Enumeration of isotopy classes of diagonal Latin squares of small order using volunteer computing. In: Voevodin, V., Sobolev, S. (eds.) RuSCDays 2018. CCIS, vol. 965, pp. 578–586. Springer, Cham (2019). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-05807-4_49CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Zaikin, O., Kochemazov, S.: The search for systems of diagonal Latin squares using the SAT@home project. Int. J. Open Inf. Technol. 3(11), 4–9 (2015)Google Scholar
- 20.Vatutin, E., Zaikin, O., Kochemazov, S., Valyaev, S.: Using volunteer computing to study some features of diagonal Latin square. Open Eng. 7, 453–460 (2017)Google Scholar
- 21.RakeSearch. https://rake.boincfast.ru/rakesearch. Accessed 23 June 2019
- 22.Center for Collective Use of Karelian Research Center of the Russian Academy of Sciences. http://cluster.krc.karelia.ru/index.php?plang=e. Accessed 23 June 2019
- 23.Nikitina, N.N., Manzyuk, M.O., Vatutin, E.I.: Employment of distributed computing to search and explore orthogonal diagonal Latin squares of rank 9. In: Proceedings of the XI(1) All-Russian Research and Practice Conference on Digital Technologies in Education, Science, Society, pp. 97–100, November 2017. (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 25.GitHub - Nevecie/RakeSearch: Rake search of Diagonal Latin Squares. https://github.com/Nevecie/RakeSearch. Accessed 23 June 2019
- 26.Formula BOINC. http://formula-boinc.org/. Accessed 23 June 2019
- 27.Vatutin, E.I., Kochemazov, S.E., Zaikin, O.S., Manzuk, M.O., Nikitina, N.N., Titov, V.S.: Properties of central symmetry for diagonal Latin squares (in Russian). High-Perform. Comput. Syst. Technol. 8, 74–78 (2018)Google Scholar
- 28.Bastian, M., Heymann, S., Jacomy, M.: Gephi: an open source software for exploring and manipulating networks. In: International AAAI Conference on Weblogs and Social Media, pp. 1–2 (2009)Google Scholar