“Tell Me a Story”: How American Capitalism Reinvents Itself Through Storytelling
- 19 Downloads
The relationship between capitalism and fiction in the United States has always been essentially antagonistic. Yet, American capitalism is reinventing itself today by infiltrating the realm of emotions through the increased use of storytelling, a practice which has now become common in all major firms.
This chapter accounts for this new twist in the history of American capitalism, in which the poet is no longer an anathema, the thinker a fool, the artist an escapist or the man of vision a criminal. Instead, they are all glorified and instrumentalized by an economic system which has understood how the world of fiction can be harnessed to capture consumers’ attention, fight disenchantment and build respectability.
- Amazon Services. 2015. Seller success stories. http://services.amazon.com/content/case-studies-okabashi.htm?ld=AZPADSFooterAS. Accessed 17 April 2015.
- American Express. 2015. https://www.youtube.com/user/AmericanExpress/. Accessed 17 April 2015.
- Audretsch, David B. 2007. The entrepreneurial society. Oxford: Oxford University Press. Apple. http://www.apple.com/your-verse/#video-your-verse. Accessed 17 April 2015.
- Barthes, Roland. 1957a. Mythologies. Paris: le Seuil.Google Scholar
- Barthes, Roland. 1957b. Introduction à l ’analyse structurale des récits. Paris: le Seuil. BBC. 2013. Amazon, the truth behind the click. A BBC Panorama documentary, December. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXWJ4GfQ22E. Accessed 17 April 2015.
- Bloom, Howard. 2015. http://howardbloom.net/reinventing-capitalism-putting-soul-into-the-machine. Accessed 17 April 2015.
- Boje, David M. 1995. Disney as Tamara-Land. Academy of Management Journal 38(4): 1001.Google Scholar
- Boltanski, Luc, and Eve Chiappello. 1999. Le nouvel esprit du capitalisme. Paris: Gallimard.Google Scholar
- Coca-Cola. 2015. Content 2020, Coca-Cola’s promotional video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LerdMmWjU_E. Accessed 17 April 2015.
- Coleridge, Samuel T. 1817/1985. Biographia Literaria, chapter XIV. Princeton: Princeton University Press.Google Scholar
- Denning, Stephen. 2002. Using stories to spark organizational change. Systems Thinker 13 2–6.Google Scholar
- Denning, Stephen. 2004. Squirrel Inc.: A fable of leadership through storytelling. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- Denning, Stephen, Katarina Dietz, and Larry Silverman. 2011. How narrative and storytelling are transforming 21st century management. Oxford: Butterworth Heinemann.Google Scholar
- Dietz, Katarina, and Larry Silverman. 2014. Business storytelling for dummies. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Dog House. http://thedoghousediaries.com/5608. Accessed 17 April 2015.
- Duffy, Mark C. 2014. What the hell happened to Apple’s advertising. Vice, January 27. http://www.vice.com/read/what-the-hell-has-happened-to-apples-advertising. Accessed 17 April 2015.
- Duncan, Robert. 1968. Bending the bow. New York: New Directions Publishing.Google Scholar
- Fisher, Walter R. 1987. Human communication as narration: Toward a philosophy of reason, value, and action. Columbia: University of South Carolina Press.Google Scholar
- Jobs, Steve. 2005. You’ve got to find what you love. Stanford University Commencement Address. http://news.stanford.edu/news/2005/june15/jobs-061505.html. Accessed 17 April 2015.
- Lipovetsky, Gilles, and Serroy, Jean. 2013. L’esthétisation du monde: vivre à l’âge du capitalisme artiste. Paris: NRF.Google Scholar
- McCloskey, Deirdre N. 1998. The rhetoric of economics. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press.Google Scholar
- McDonald’s. http://www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/supplierstories.html. Accessed 17 April 2015.
- Miller, Henry V. 1945. The air-conditioned nightmare. New York: New Directions.Google Scholar
- Nudd, Tim. 2014. Ad of the day: Apple borrows from Dead Poets Society in evocative ad for the i Pad Air. Adweek, January 13. http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/ad-day-apple-borrows-dead-poets-society-evocative-ad-ipad-air-154937. Accessed 17 April 2015.
- Salmon, Christian. 2006. Une machine à fabriquer des histoires. Le Monde Diplomatique, November 29. https://www.monde-diplomatique.fr/2006/11/SALMON/14124. Accessed 17 April 2015.
- Salmon, Christian. 2007/2017. Storytelling, la machine à fabriquer des histoires et à formater les esprits. Paris: La Découverte. Trans. D. Macey. Storytelling: The bewitching of the modern mind. New York: Verso.Google Scholar
- Uber. http://vimeo.com/77249014. Accessed 17 April 2015.
- Weber, Max. 1905/2002; The protestant ethic and the spirit of capitalism. New York: Penguin Books.Google Scholar
- Weir, Peter. 1989. Dead Poets Society. Touchstone Pictures.Google Scholar