Coupling Agent-Based Modelling with Geographic Information Systems for Environmental Studies—A Review
- 24 Downloads
With the increase of worldwide population, the environment has suffered intensely, where climate change issues are some of the top priorities for decision-makers worldwide. The extreme events recently witnessed have affected a countless number of people, with the loss of lives, properties and livelihood. Resourcing to technologies that facilitate decision-making is one of the viable options to correct our current path into the future. By using agent-based modelling coupled with geographical information systems, an effective platform can be created to design a bottom-up approach in policy creation and planning. This review paper analyses studies that have applied this methodology, yielding a vast range of results that were divided into nine different sustainable development categories: natural resources, social participation and trust, material welfare and economy, climate and energy, technology, biodiversity and landscape, mobility, safety and land development. The number of results shows that these studies are extremely relevant to the sustainable development topic. Although having manifested some limitations related to the transparency of the model design or validation issues, the application of agent-based modelling coupled with geographical information systems proved a competent tool for implementation in environmental and sustainability subjects.
KeywordsEnvironment Climate change Geographic information systems Agent-based modelling Sustainability Decision support system
The first author has been supported by the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (Fundação Portuguesa para a Ciência e Tecnologia—FCT), co-funded by FSE and national funds by MCTES, under the contract SFRH/BD/105590/2014. Thanks are also due for the financial support to CESAM (UID/AMB/50017/2019), to FCT/MCTES through national funds.
- Ahlqvist, O., Khodke, N., & Ramnath, R. (2018). GeoGame analytics—A cyber-enabled petri dish for geographic modeling and simulation. Computers, Environment and Urban Systems, 67, 1–8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compenvurbsys.2017.08.013.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Alves, F. L., Sousa, L. P., Esteves, T. C., Oliveira, E. R., Antunes, I. C., Fernandes, M. D. L., … Pereira, M. (2014). Trend change(s) in coastal management plans: The integration of short and medium term perspectives in the spatial planning process. Journal of Coastal Research, 70. https://doi.org/10.2112/SI70-074.1.
- Ausloos, M., Dawid, H., & Merlone, U. (2015). Spatial interactions in agent-based modeling. In P. Commendatore, S. Kayam, & I. Kubin (Eds.), Complexity and geographical economics. Dynamic modeling and econometrics in economics and finance (pp. 353–377). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-12805-4_14.
- Aziz, H. M. A., Park, B. H., Morton, A., Stewart, R. N., Hilliard, M., & Maness, M. (2017). A high resolution agent-based model to support walk-bicycle infrastructure investment decisions: A case study with New York City. Transportation Research Part C: Emerging Technologies, 86(November 2016), 280–299. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trc.2017.11.008.
- Bandyopadhyay, M., & Singh, V. (2018). Agent-based geosimulation for assessment of urban emergency response plans. Arabian Journal of Geosciences, 11(8). https://doi.org/10.1007/s12517-018-3523-5.
- Bhamidipati, S., van der Lei, T., & Herder, P. (2016). A layered approach to model interconnected infrastructure and its significance for asset management. European Journal of Transport and Infrastructure Research, 16(1), 254–272.Google Scholar
- Bickel, M. W. (2017). A new approach to semantic sustainability assessment: Text mining via network analysis revealing transition patterns in German municipal climate action plans. Energy, Sustainability and Society, 7(22). https://doi.org/10.1186/s13705-017-0125-0.
- Brown, K. (2006). Re-presenting GIS. In P. Fisher & D. J. Unwin (Eds.), The Geographical Journal (Vol. 172). https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-4959.2006.00219_3.x.
- Brundtland, G. H. (1987). Our common future: Report of the world commission on environment and development. Retrieved from http://www.un-documents.net/our-common-future.pdf.
- Campagna, M. (2006). GIS for sustainable development. Retrieved from https://www.crcpress.com/GIS-for-Sustainable-Development/Campagna/p/book/9780849330513.
- Cantergiani, C., & Gomez Delgado, M. (2016). Design of an agent-based model to simulate urban growth at Corredor Del Henares (Region of Madrid). Boletin De La Asociacion De Geografos Espanoles, 70, 499–503.Google Scholar
- Carpenter-Kling, T., Pistorius, P., Connan, M., Reisinger, R., Magozzi, S., & Trueman, C. (2019). Sensitivity of δ13C values of seabird tissues to combined spatial, temporal and ecological drivers: A simulation approach. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology, 512(January), 12–21. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jembe.2018.12.007.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Chrysoulakis, N., Lopes, M., San José, R., Grimmond, C. S. B., Jones, M. B., Magliulo, V., … Cartalis, C. (2013). Sustainable urban metabolism as a link between bio-physical sciences and urban planning: The BRIDGE project. Landscape and Urban Planning, 112(1), 100–117. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.landurbplan.2012.12.005.
- Crooks, A. T. (2010). SERIES using geospatial agent-based models for studying cities. Retrieved from https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/SERIES-Using-Geospatial-Agent-Based-Models-for-Crooks/d9d9fc7a261ac81f570c5093b1baa7ee7bf94757.
- Crooks, A. (2015). Agent-based modeling and geographical information systems. In C. Brunsdon & A. Singleton (Eds.), Geocomputation: A practical primer (p. 369). London: SAGE.Google Scholar
- Crooks, A., Malleson, N., Manley, E., & Heppenstall, A. J. (2019). In R. Rojek (Ed.) Agent-based modelling and geographical information systems: A practical primer. London: SAGE.Google Scholar
- Cubasch, U., Wuebbles, D., Chen, D., Facchini, M. C., Frame, D., Mahowald, N., & Winther, J.-G. (2013). Introduction. In T. F. Stocker, D. Qin, G.-K. Plattner, M. Tignor, S. K. Allen, J. Boschung, … P. M. Midgley (Eds.), Climate Change 2013: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fifth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Retrieved from https://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/assessment-report/ar5/wg1/WG1AR5_Chapter01_FINAL.pdf.
- Démare, T., Bertelle, C., Dutot, A., & Lévêque, L. (2017). Modeling logistic systems with an agent-based model and dynamic graphs. Journal of Transport Geography, 62(May 2015), 51–65. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtrangeo.2017.04.007.
- Dragicevic, S. (2008). Editorial—Geocomputation: Modeling with spatial agents. Computers, Environment and Urban Systems, 32, 415–416. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compenvurbsys.2008.10.002.
- Dressler, G., Müller, B., Frank, K., & Kuhlicke, C. (2016). Towards thresholds of disaster management performance under demographic change: Exploring functional relationships using agent-based modeling. Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences, 16(10), 2287–2301. https://doi.org/10.5194/nhess-16-2287-2016.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Dubbelboer, J., Nikolic, I., Jenkins, K., & Hall, J. (2017). An agent-based model of flood risk and insurance. Jasss, 20(1). https://doi.org/10.18564/jasss.3135.
- Eid, M. S., & El-adaway, I. H. (2017). Integrating the social vulnerability of host communities and the objective functions of associated stakeholders during disaster recovery processes using agent-based modeling. Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, 31(5), 04017030. https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)cp.1943-5487.0000680.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Esteves, T., Vaz, E., & Alves, F. L. (2017). Supporting policy development in the Aveiro region by modeling urban sustainability. Public Policy Portuguese Journal, 2(2), 19–37. Retrieved from file:///C:/Users/tanya/Downloads/Public Policy Portuguese Journal_Volume 2_Number 2_2017.pdf.Google Scholar
- European Commission. (2015). Indicators for sustainable cities—Issue 12. In European Commission. https://doi.org/10.2779/61700.
- Filatova, T. (2015). Empirical agent-based land market: Integrating adaptive economic behavior in urban land-use models. Computers, Environment and Urban Systems, 54, 397–413. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compenvurbsys.2014.06.007.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gray, S., Voinov, A., Paolisso, M., Jordan, R., BenDor, T., Bommel, P., … Zellner, M. (2017). Purpose, processes, partnerships, and products: four Ps to advance participatory socio-environmental modeling. Ecological Applications, 28(1), 46–61. https://doi.org/10.1002/eap.1627.
- Heath, B. L. (2010). The history, philosophy, and practice of agent-based modeling and the development of the conceptual model for simulation diagram (Wright State University). Retrieved from https://etd.ohiolink.edu/!etd.send_file?accession=wright1269176275&disposition=inline.
- Heinänen, S., Chudzinska, M. E., Brandi Mortensen, J., Teo, T. Z. E., Rong Utne, K., Doksæter Sivle, L., et al. (2018). Integrated modelling of Atlantic mackerel distribution patterns and movements: A template for dynamic impact assessments. Ecological Modelling, 387(June), 118–133. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecolmodel.2018.08.010.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Heppenstall, A. J., Crooks, A., See, L., & Batty, M. (Eds.). (2012). Agent-based models of geographical systems (1st ed.). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-90-481-8927-4.
- Hinkel, J., Lincke, D., Vafeidis, A. T., Perrette, M., Nicholls, R. J., Tol, R. S. J., … Levermann, A. (2014). Coastal flood damage and adaptation costs under 21st century sea-level rise. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1222469111.
- Hirtle, S. C., & Frank, A. U. (Eds.). (1997). Spatial information theory a theoretical basis for GIS. https://doi.org/10.1007/3-540-63623-4.
- Hooshangi, N., & Alesheikh, A. (2018). Developing an agent-based simulation system for post-earthquake operations in uncertainty conditions: A proposed method for collaboration among agents. ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information, 7(1), 27. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijgi7010027.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- IPCC. (2018). Summary for Policymakers. In V. Masson-Delmotte, P. Zhai, H. O. Pörtner, D. Roberts, J. Skea, P. R. Shukla, … T. Waterfield (Eds.), Global warming of 1.5 °C—An IPCC SR on the impacts of global warming of 1.5 °C above pre-industrial levels & related global GHG emission pathways, in the context of strengthening the global response to the threat of CC, SD, & efforts to eradicate poverty (p. 32). Retrieved from http://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/special-reports/sr15/sr15_spm_final.pdf.
- Kin, B., Ambra, T., Verlinde, S., & Macharis, C. (2018). Tackling fragmented last mile deliveries to nanostores by utilizing spare transportation capacity—A simulation study. Sustainability (Switzerland), 10(3). https://doi.org/10.3390/su10030653.
- Li, H., & Kwan, M.-P. (2017). Advancing analytical methods for urban metabolism studies. Resources, Conservation and Recycling, (March). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resconrec.2017.07.005.
- Lu, M., & Hsu, S.-C. (2017). Spatial agent-based model for environmental assessment of passenger transportation. Journal of Urban Planning and Development, 143(4), 04017016. https://doi.org/10.1061/(asce)up.1943-5444.0000403.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Macatulad, E. G., & Blanco, A. C. (2018). A 3DGIS multi-agent geo-simulation model for assessment of building evacuation scenarios considering urgency and knowledge of exits. International Journal of Urban Sciences, 1–17. https://doi.org/10.1080/12265934.2018.1549505.
- Müller, B., Bohn, F., Dreßler, G., Groeneveld, J., Klassert, C., Martin, R., … Schwarz, N. (2013). Describing human decisions in agent-based models—ODD + D, an extension of the ODD protocol. Environmental Modelling & Software, 48, 37–48. https://doi.org/10.1016/J.ENVSOFT.2013.06.003.
- Nguyen-Trong, K., Nguyen-Thi-Ngoc, A., Nguyen-Ngoc, D., & Dinh-Thi-Hai, V. (2017). Optimization of municipal solid waste transportation by integrating GIS analysis, equation-based, and agent-based model. Waste Management, 59, 14–22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2016.10.048.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Noble, I. R., Huq, S., Anokhin, Y. A., Carmin, J., Goudou, D., Lansigan, F. P., … Villamizar, A. (2014). In C. B. Field, V. R. Barros, D. J. Dokken, K. J. Mach, M. D. Mastrandrea, T. E. Bilir, … L. L. White (Eds.), Climate Change 2014: Impacts, Adaptation, and Vulnerability. Part A: Global and Sectoral Aspects. Contribution of Working Group II to the Fifth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Retrieved from https://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/assessment-report/ar5/wg2/WGIIAR5-FrontMatterA_FINAL.pdf.
- QuanLi, X., Kun, Y., GuiLin, W., & YuLian, Y. (2015). Agent-based modeling and simulations of land-use and land-cover change according to ant colony optimization: A case study of the Erhai Lake Basin, China. Natural Hazards, 75(1), 95–118. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11069-014-1303-4.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ramcilovic-Suominen, S., & Pülzl, H. (2018). Sustainable development—A “selling point” of the emerging EU bioeconomy policy framework? Journal of Cleaner Production, 172, 4170–4180. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2016.12.157.
- Ripple, W. J., Wolf, C., Newsome, T. M., Galetti, M., Alamgir, M., Crist, E., … Laurance, W. F. (2017). World scientists’ warning to humanity: A second notice. BioScience, bix125. https://doi.org/10.1093/biosci/bix125.
- Scott, S. M., Middleton, C. E., & Bodine, E. N. (2019). An agent-based model of the spatial distribution and density of the Santa Cruz Island Fox. In Handbook of statistics (1st ed., Vol. 40). https://doi.org/10.1016/bs.host.2018.10.001.
- Tan, R., Liu, Y., Zhou, K., Jiao, L., & Tang, W. (2015). A game-theory based agent-cellular model for use in urban growth simulation: A case study of the rapidly urbanizing Wuhan area of central China. Computers, Environment and Urban Systems, 49, 15–29. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compenvurbsys.2014.09.001.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- UN. (2007). Indicators of sustainable development: Guidelines and methodologies (3rd ed.). Retrieved from https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/content/documents/guidelines.pdf.
- UNFCCC. (2015). Paris agreement. Retrieved from https://unfccc.int/sites/default/files/english_paris_agreement.pdf.
- Vahidnia, M. H., Alesheikh, A. A., & Alavipanah, S. K. (2015). A multi-agent architecture for geosimulation of moving agents. Journal of Geographical Systems, 17. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10109-015-0218-2.
- Victor, D. G., Zhou, D., Ahmed, E. H. M., Dadhich, P. K., Olivier, J. G. J., Rogner, H.-H., … Yamaguchi, M. (2014). Introductory chapter. In O. Edenhofer, R. Pichs-Madruga, Y. Sokona, E. Farahani, S. Kadner, K. Seyboth, … J. C. Minx (Eds.), Climate Change 2014: Mitigation of Climate Change. Contribution of Working Group III to the Fifth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge, UK and New York, NY, USA: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- WWF. (2016). Living planet report 2016. Risk and resilience in a new era. Retrieved from http://awsassets.panda.org/downloads/lpr_living_planet_report_2016.pdf.
- Yang, Y., Mao, L., & Metcalf, S. S. (2019). Diffusion of hurricane evacuation behavior through a home-workplace social network: A spatially explicit agent-based simulation model. Computers, Environment and Urban Systems, 74(June 2018), 13–22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compenvurbsys.2018.11.010.
- Zidar, K., Bartrand, T. A., Loomis, C. H., McAfee, C. A., Geldi, J. M., Rigall, G. J., & Montalto, F. (2017). Maximizing green infrastructure in a Philadelphia neighborhood. Urban Planning, 2(4), 115. https://doi.org/10.17645/up.v2i4.1039.