About on Organizational Impact on the Adoption of New Technologies in Tourism
- 13 Downloads
The aim of this paper is to investigate whether the adoption of a blockchain technology can facilitate improvements in the governance and management of tourism businesses and what are the opportunities, risks and benefits by adopting this technology to create new marketplaces. Innovation adoption has been widely debated among scholars in order to identify variables and models that boost adoption processes within touristic firms. Although tblockchain is still at an early-age of development, it is also beginning to influence the tourism sector through cryptocurrencies, smart contracts, and decentralized applications. Given the importance of intermediaries in tourism sector, systems that will maintain these professional figures facilitating the transactions between the parties are being developed. This conceptual paper intends to propose a discussion on the potentiality of the application of blockchain in the tourism sector. It also suggests a number of research directions that have not been adequately investigated yet. In particular, scholars do not seem to have caught all the implications of this innovation adoption, especially for SMEs in tourism.
KeywordsHospitality Destination management and destination governance New technology Competitive advantage Blockchain for tourism
- Cancelas, A. (2018). What we can expect from blockchain in tourism industry. Retrieved from https://www.wearemarkeing.com/blog/what-we-can-expect-from-blockchain-in-the-tourism-industry.html.
- Casaleggio Associati. (2018, November). Blockchain for business, report n. 15. Retrieved from https://www.casaleggio.it/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/Blockchain-for-business_2018_11ITA.pdf
- Firica, O. (2017). Blockchain technology: promises and realities of the year 2017. Quality—Access to Success, 18, 51–58.Google Scholar
- Kwok, A., & Koh, S. (2018). Is blockchain technology a watershed for tourism development? Current Issue in Tourism, 1, 1–6.Google Scholar
- Libra Association Member. (2019). An introduction to Libra. Retrieved from https://libra.org/en-US/white-paper/
- Mofokeng, N., & Fatima, T. (2018). Future tourism trends: Utilizing non-fungible tokens to aid wildlife conservation. African Journal of Hospitality, Tourism and Leisure, 7(4).Google Scholar
- Nakamoto, S. (2008). Bitcoin: A peer-to-peer electronic cash system. Retrieved from https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf.
- Nowiński, W., & Kozma, M. (2017). How can blockchain technology disrupt the existing business models?. Entrepreneurial Business and Economics Review, 5(3), 173–188. Retrieved from https://doi.org/10.15678/EBER.2017.050309
- Ozdemir, A., Ar, I. & Erol, I. (2019). Assessment of blockchain applications in travel and tourism industry. Quality & Quantity, 1–15.Google Scholar
- Polukhina, A., Arnaberdiyev, A., & Tarasova, A. (2019). Leading technologies in tourism: using blockchain in Travel Chain project. In Advances in social science, education and humanities research, vol. 318.Google Scholar
- Zsarnoczky, M. (2018). The digital future of the tourism & hospitality industry. Boston Hospitality Review, Spring, pp. 1–10, Retrieved from https://www.bu.edu/bhr/files/2018/06/The-Digital-Future-of-the-Tourism-and-Hospitality-Industry.pdf