Solid State Diffusion Bonding of ODS Eurofer Steel by Spark Plasma Sintering
- 48 Downloads
Oxide dispersion strengthened (ODS) steels are considered to be one of the candidate structural materials for advanced nuclear applications due to their high elevated-temperature strength, corrosion resistance, and radiation tolerance. Joining of ODS steels by traditional fusion joining techniques is not applicable, because the melting process results in the coarsening of fine grains and agglomeration of nanosized oxide particles, and consequently a significant loss of strength. Spark plasma sintering (SPS) has recently been employed as a novel joining technique, which could be beneficial for joining ODS steels considering the solid state characteristic. A powder metallurgy prepared ODS Eurofer steel was successfully joined using SPS. The microstructure and mechanical properties of the joints were investigated. An almost defect-free joint was obtained at the selected processing condition. The tensile properties of the joints are comparable to the base material. Fracture analysis shows an intergranular fracture in the as-joined sample, while a ductile fracture with well-defined dimples is found in the tempered sample.
KeywordsOxide dispersion strengthened alloy Spark plasma sintering Joining Mechanical properties
This research was carried out under project number T16010f in the framework of the Partnership Program of the Materials innovation institute M2i (www.m2i.nl) and the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (www.nwo.nl). The authors thank the industrial partner Nuclear Research and Consultancy Group (NRG) in this project for the financial support.
- 2.Yabuuchi K, Tsuda N, Kimura A, Morisada Y, Fujii H, Serizawa H, Nogami S, Hasegawa A, Nagasaka T (2014) Effects of tool rotation speed on the mechanical properties and microstructure of friction stir welded ODS steel. Mater Sci Eng A 595(595):291–296Google Scholar
- 5.Serizawa H, Murakami M, Morisada Y, Fujii H, Nogami S, Nagasaka T, Tanigawa H (2016) Influence of friction stir welding conditions on joinability of oxide dispersion strengthened steel/F82H ferritic/martensitic steel joint. Nucl Mater Energy 9(C):S2352179115300387Google Scholar
- 7.Suárez M, Fernández-Camacho A, Menéndez JL, Torrecillas R (2013) Challenges and opportunities for spark plasma sintering: a key technology for a new generation of materials. InTechGoogle Scholar
- 13.Fu J, Brouwer H, Richardson I, Hermans M (2019) Joining of oxide dispersion strengthened Eurofer steel via spark plasma sintering. Mater Lett (Submitted)Google Scholar
- 17.Brewer LN, Bennett MS, Baker B, Payzant EA, Sochalski-Kolbus L (2015) Characterization of residual stress as a function of friction stir welding parameters in oxide dispersion strengthened (ODS) steel MA956. Mater Sci Eng A 647:313–321Google Scholar