Aeration Leaching Process for Producing Synthetic Rutile in a Novel Gas–Liquid–Solid Reactor
- 48 Downloads
The synthetic rutile was prepared by aeration leaching process in a novel gas–liquid–solid reactor and compared with traditional reactor. The effects of aeration leaching on the phase transformation of reduced ilmenite were studied at a liquid-to-solid ratio of 4:1 by XRD, while the microstructure and composition of the reduced ilmenite were characterized by SEM and chemical analysis. The vigorous stirring helped break bubbles and was favorable to the reaction. There exists an optimum value of gas flow rate. Using this process, synthetic rutile containing 0.6% metallic iron and 82.11% titanium dioxide was obtained at 2% ammonium chloride with 1.5% hydrochloric acid and reaction time 1 h.
KeywordsGas–liquid–solid reactor Stirring Rust reaction Gas flow
This work was financially supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (U1508217), the Fund of Liaoning S&T Project (2015020591), and National Key Research and Development Program Projects (2017YFC0210404, 2017YFC0210403-04).
- 1.Knittel D (1983) Titanium and titanium alloys, 3rd edn. In: Grayson M (ed) Encyclopaedia of chemical technology, vol 23. Wiley, Hoboken, pp 98–130Google Scholar
- 2.Minkler WW, Baroch EF (1981) The production of titanium, zirconium and hafnium. In: Tien JK, Elliott JF (eds) Metallurgical treatises. AIME, pp 171–189Google Scholar
- 6.Kahn JA (1984) JOM 7:33Google Scholar
- 8.Sekimoto H, Yahaba S, Chiba S, Yamaguchi K (2016) In: Proceedings of the 13th world conference on titanium, TMS. The Minerals, Metals & Materials SocietyGoogle Scholar
- 9.Bracanin BF, Clements RJ, Davey JM (1980) Direct reduction—the Western titanium process for the production of synthetic rutile, ferutil and sponge iron AusIMM Pro 275:33Google Scholar
- 10.Cassidy PW, Clements RJ, Ellis BA, Rolfe PR (1986) In: Conference proceedings. AusIMM, Perth, WA, p 123Google Scholar
- 12.Hoecker W (1994) Process for the production of synthetic rutile. European Patent EP0612854Google Scholar
- 13.Reaveley YB (1980) Synthetic rutile production at Associated Minerals Consolidated LTD, Capol, WA In: Woodcock JT (ed) Mining and metallurgical practices in Australasia. AusIMM, p 782Google Scholar
- 18.Bruckard WJ, Calle C, Fletcher S, Horne MD, Sparrow GJ, Urban AJ (2004) Hydrometallurgy 73:111Google Scholar