Fabrication of Bilayer Nanoporous Copper from Rapidly Solidified Al70Cu30 Ribbons by Chemical Dealloying Technique
- 270 Downloads
In this paper, nanoporous copper (NPC) was prepared by chemical dealloying of the Al70Cu30 (at.%) melt-spun alloy. The dealloying of Al70Cu30 in 4.2 vol% HCl solution facilitates the bilayer NPC with various morphology. The results show that the formation of pores is simultaneously controlled by the dissolution of Al and the diffusion of Cu atoms in the alloy/electrolyte interface. In particular, the NPC presents a bimodal pore size distribution: larger pores with size of 25–50 nm and smaller pores with size of 3–4 nm. The specific surface area of the NPC is determined as 25.24 ± 0.08 m2 g−1 through N2 adsorption/desorption experiment and Brunauer–Emmett–Teller (BET) analysis. Such high porosity and surface-area-to-volume ratio of the NPC reveal its potential application in catalysts, sensors, actuators, fuel cells, etc.
KeywordsBilayer nanoporous copper Al–Cu ribbons Rapid solidification Dealloying Bimodal pore size distribution
This study was supported by the Program for Professor of Special Appointment (Eastern Scholar) at Shanghai Institutions of Higher Learning and National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant Nos. 51671123, 51171105, and 50971086).
- 14.Wittstock A, Biener J, Erlebacher J, Baeumer M (2011) Nanoporous gold: from an ancient technology to a high-tech material. RSC Publishing, pp 224–245Google Scholar
- 21.Fei C, Xi C, Zou L, Yao Y, Lin Y, Qiang S, Lavernia EJ, Zhang L (2016) Fabrication and mechanical behavior of bulk nanoporous Cu via chemical dealloying of Cu–Al alloys. Mater Sci Eng A 660:241–250Google Scholar
- 23.Kamal M, El-Bediwi AB, El-Ashram T (2004) The effect of rapid solidification on the structure, decomposition behavior, electrical and mechanical properties of the Sn–Cd binary alloys. J Mater Sci: Mater Electron 15(4):211–217Google Scholar
- 24.Kurz W, Trivedi R (1994) Rapid solidification processing and microstructure formation. Mater Sci Eng A 179(94):46–51Google Scholar
- 27.Liu W, Zhang S, Li N, Zheng J, An S, Xing Y (2012) Dealloying behavior of dual-phase Al 15 at.% Cu alloy in an acidic solution. Int J Electrochem Sci 7(3):2240–2253Google Scholar