Development of a Semi-autonomous Aerial Vehicle for Sewerage Inspection
This paper describes the design, development and field tests of an aerial vehicle for semi-autonomous inspection of sewer pipes. This vehicle is able to localize and align itself with respect to the longitudinal axis of the pipe, and to keep a predefined height over the water. The human operator only needs to send high-level commands to move the vehicle forward or backward along the pipe, and this navigation is then done safely in an autonomous manner. We tested our system in a realistic mock-up scenario provided by a city water management company. Our field tests show that the platform is operational and fulfill the requirements for sewer inspections.
KeywordsUAV Aerial inspection Indoor navigation
This work has been developed in the Spanish SAAIC project and it has received funding from CTA and CDTI. It has also been funded by ARM-EXTEND in the Spanish RD plan (DPI2017-89790-R). We would also like to thank Rafael Salmoral for his support during flying tests.
- 3.Flyability platform. https://www.flyability.com
- 4.SIAR Project. https://siar.idmind.pt
- 6.Alejo, D., Mier, G., Marques, C., Caballero, F., Merino, L., Alvito, P.: A ground robot solution for semi-autonomous inspection of visitable sewers. In: Grau, A., Morel, Y., Cecchi, F., Puig-Pey, A. (eds.) ECHORD++: Innovation from LAB to MARKET. Springer, Heidelberg (2019)Google Scholar
- 7.Bonnin-Pascual, F., Garcia-Fidalgo, E., Ortiz, A.: Semi-autonomous visual inspection of vessels assisted by an unmanned micro aerial vehicle. In: 2012 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 3955–3961 (2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Nikolic, J., Burri, M., Rehder, J., Leutenegger, S., Huerzeler, C., Siegwart, R.: A UAV system for inspection of industrial facilities. In: 2013 IEEE Aerospace Conference, pp. 1–8, March 2013Google Scholar
- 12.Sa, I., Hrabar, S., Corke, P.: Inspection of pole-like structures using a vision-controlled VTOL UAV and shared autonomy. In: 2014 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 4819–4826 (2014)Google Scholar
- 14.Shen, S., Mulgaonkar, Y., Michael, N., Kumar, V.: Multi-sensor fusion for robust autonomous flight in indoor and outdoor environments with a rotorcraft MAV. In: 2014 IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), pp. 4974–4981 (2014)Google Scholar