Aerodynamic Effects in Multirotors Flying Close to Obstacles: Modelling and Mapping
This paper aims to model the aerodynamic effects in the flight of aerial robots close to obstacles in the oil and gas industries. These models are presented in the form of an aerodynamic effects map which represents the changes in the thrust when an aerial vehicle flies very close to different obstacles. Although there are works related to the fly close to different obstacles in the literature, some of the effects needed to develop the aerodynamic map have not been previously studied and tested experimentally in a test stand. The paper also considers the case where the rotor is affected by more than one obstacle.
KeywordsAerodynamic effects UAS for inspection
This work has been supported by the HYFLIERS (H2020-ICT-25-2016-2017) and RESIST (H2020-MG-2017-769066) projects, funded by the European Commission under the H2020 Programme, the ARCTIC (RTI2018-102224-B-I00) project, funded by the Spanish Ministerio de Economia y Competitividad, the ARM-EXTEND project funded by the Spanish RD plan (DPI2017-89790-R) and the FPU Program, funded by the Spanish Ministerio de Educación, Cultura y Deporte. A special thanks to Ricardo Moreno for his support.
- 1.Valavanis, K., Vachtsevanos, G.: Handbook of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles. Springer, Netherlands (2015)Google Scholar
- 5.Trujillo, M.Á., Martínez-de Dios, J.R., Martín, C., Viguria, A., Ollero, A.: Novel aerial manipulator for accurate and robust industrial NDT contact inspection: a new tool for the oil and gas inspection industry. Sensors 19(6), 1305 (2019)Google Scholar
- 6.Sanchez-Cuevas, P.J., Ramon-Soria, P., Arrue, B., Ollero, A., Heredia, G.: Robotic system for inspection by contact of bridge beams using UAVs. Sensors. 19(2), 305 (2019)Google Scholar
- 7.https://aeroarms-project.eu/. Accessed 03 Oct 2019
- 8.https://www.oulu.fi/hyfliers/. Accessed 03 Oct 2019
- 9.http://www.resistproject.eu/. Accessed 03 Oct 2019
- 10.Powers, C., Mellinger, D., Kushleyev, A., et al.: Influence of aerodynamics and proximity effects in quadrotor flight. In: Experimental Robotics, pp. 289–302. Springer, Heidelberg (2013)Google Scholar
- 14.Hayden, J.S.: Effect of the ground on helicopter hovering power required. In: Proceedings of the AHS 32nd Forum (1976)Google Scholar
- 15.Sanchez-Cuevas, P.J., Heredia, G., Ollero, A.: Experimental approach to the aerodynamic effects produced in multirotors flying close to obstacles. In: Iberian Robotics Conference, pp. 742–752 (2017)Google Scholar
- 16.Sanchez-Cuevas, P.J., Heredia, G., Ollero, A.: Characterization of the aerodynamic ground effect and its influence in multirotor control. Int. J. Aerosp. Eng. 2017, 1–17 (2017)Google Scholar
- 18.Cheeseman, I., Bennett, W.: The effect of the ground on a helicopter rotor in forward flight. ARC R&M 3021 (1955)Google Scholar
- 19.Sanchez-Cuevas, P.J., Heredia, G., Ollero, A.: Multirotor UAS for bridge inspection by contact using the ceiling effect. In: International Conference on Unmanned Aircraft Systems (ICUAS), Miami (2017)Google Scholar