The Roles of Incubators, Accelerators, Co-working Spaces, Mentors, and Events in the Startup Development Process
- 87 Downloads
This chapter aims to explore supporting factors, such as incubators, accelerators, co-working spaces, mentors, and events in the startup ecosystem. To understand these five aspects and to explore their roles in startups, we investigated an Oulu startup ecosystem. In this case study, we conducted research interviews with practitioners working with startups, accelerators, incubators, venture capital firms, and co-working space organizations. By using real case examples, the results discussed in this chapter can help entrepreneurs understand the commonalities and differences between incubators and accelerators, their types (university-based or profit/nonprofit), the kinds of business ideas, and the entrepreneurs they focus on. Furthermore, the roles of co-working spaces, mentors, and events and their effects on entrepreneurs and startups are discussed. At the end of the chapter, we also show the interrelationships between these five aspects in the Oulu startup ecosystem and their influence on different startup development stages.
KeywordsIncubator Accelerator Co-working space Mentor Events Startup ecosystem Startup
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Berg, V., Birkeland, J., Nguyen-Duc, A., Pappas, I.O., Jaccheri, L.: Software startup engineering: a systematic mapping study. J. Syst. Softw. 144, 255–274 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2018.06.043. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0164121218301286 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Bliemel, M.J., Flores, R.G., de Klerk, S., Miles, M.P., Costa, B., Monteiro, P.: The role and performance of accelerators in the Australian startup ecosystem. In: Department of Industry, Innovation & Science (Made public 25 May, 2016) (2016)Google Scholar
- 4.Cohen, S., Hochberg, Y.V.: Accelerating startups: the seed accelerator phenomenon. SSRN Electron. J. (2014). https://ssrn.com/abstract=2418000
- 5.Cukier, D., Kon, F., Lyons, T.S.: Software startup ecosystems evolution: the New York city case study. In: 2nd International Workshop on Software Startups (2016)Google Scholar
- 7.Giardino, C., Bajwa, S.S., Wang, X., Abrahamsson, P.: Key challenges in early-stage software startups. In: International Conference on Agile Software Development, pp. 52–63. Springer, Berlin (2015)Google Scholar
- 9.Kane, T.J.: The importance of startups in job creation and job destruction. SSRN Electron. J. (2010). https://ssrn.com/abstract=1646934
- 11.Krajcik, V., Formanek, I.: Regional startup ecosystem. Eur. Bus. Manag. 1(2), 14–18 (2015)Google Scholar
- 13.Nguyen-Duc, A., Wang, X., Abrahamsson, P.: What influences the speed of prototyping? an empirical investigation of twenty software startups. In: Baumeister, H., Lichter, H., Riebisch, M. (eds.) Agile Processes in Software Engineering and Extreme Programming. Lecture Notes in Business Information Processing, pp. 20–36. Springer, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- 15.Radojevich-Kelley, N., Hoffman, D.L.: Analysis of accelerator companies: an exploratory case study of their programs, processes, and early results. Small Bus. Inst. J. 8(2), 54–70 (2012)Google Scholar