Processing, Properties and Potential Applications of Magnesium Alloy-Based Nanocomposites: A Review
Strong, ductile, lightweight, biocompatible and non-toxic materials are the need of the hour for metal-based industries such as aerospace, automotive, electronics and biomedical sectors. Magnesium-based materials, due to their lightweight, excellent dimensional stability and mechanical integrity, have a tremendous potential to replace the existing commercial Al, Ti alloys and steels currently being used. Due to these attractive qualities of magnesium, there has been a spurt in the quest of a variety of magnesium materials targeting different functionalities. One subset of magnesium-based materials is magnesium alloy-based nanocomposites that exhibit advantages of both magnesium alloys and magnesium nanocomposites. There has been advancement in this field through careful selection of alloying elements and reinforcement and optimization to obtain the best combination of properties. Accordingly, this paper will focus on the recent developments of magnesium alloy-based nanocomposites capable of replacing conventional materials in multiple engineering and biomedical applications.
KeywordsMagnesium Alloy nanocomposites Microstructure Properties
- 10.Chen L-Y, Xu J-Q, Choi H, Pozuelo M, Ma X, Bhowmick S, Yang J-M, Mathaudhu S, Li X-C (2015) Processing and properties of magnesium containing a dense uniform dispersion of nanoparticles. Nature 528:539–543. https://doi.org/10.1038/nature16445, http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v528/n7583/abs/nature16445.html#supplementary-informationCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Availabe online: https://global.kyocera.com/prdct/fc/list/tokusei/bouchou/index.html
- 21.Tekumalla S, Yang C, Seetharaman S, Wong WLE, Goh CS, Shabadi R, Gupta M (2016) Enhancing overall static/dynamic/damping/ignition response of magnesium through the addition of lower amounts (<2%) of yttrium. J Alloy Compd 689:350–358. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jallcom.2016.07.324CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Gupta MGaN (2017) Utilizing magnesium based materials to reduce green house gas emissions in aerospace sectors. Aeronaut Aerosp Open Access J, 1Google Scholar
- 27.Gupta MGaS (2017) The promise of magnesium based materials in electromagnetic shielding. Jupiter Online J Mater Sci 2. https://doi.org/10.19080/jojms.2017.02.555598