Self-Healing Mechanisms in Multifunctional Structural Materials
- 71 Downloads
This chapter is focused on current shortcomings of self-healing materials for their applications in aeronautics. In particular, the critical points, which prevented the application and the widespread use of these materials in aircraft structures, will be discussed. After “the state of the art” on the design of current developed structural self-healing materials and their drawbacks for application as aircraft materials, recent achievements in this field, able to overcome current drawbacks, will be described. The possibility to simultaneously impart other specific functions, which can be integrated in the material together with the auto-repair function, will be considered.
KeywordsSelf-healing Fiber-reinforced composites Resin film infiltration (RFI) Ring-opening metathesis Thermosetting resin
This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation program under grant agreement no. 760940.
- Amendola E, Dello Iacono S, Pastore A, Curcio M, Giordano M, Iadonisi A (2015) Epoxy thermosets with self-healing ability. J Mater Sci Chem Eng 3:162–167Google Scholar
- Binder WH (2013) In: Binder WH (ed) Self-healing polymers. From principles to applications. Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim, pp 440Google Scholar
- Dry C (2007) Multiple function, self-repairing composites with special adhesives. Int Patent WO/2007/005657Google Scholar
- Guadagno L, Raimondo M (2012) Chapter 14: Use of FTIR analysis to control the self-healing functionality of epoxy resins. In: Theophile T (ed) Infrared spectroscopy—materials science, engineering and technology. InTech, Rijeka, pp 285–300Google Scholar
- Guadagno L, Raimondo M, Vietri U, Naddeo C, Stojanovic A, Sorrentino A, Binder WH (2016) Evaluation of the mechanical properties of microcapsule-based self-healing composites. Int J Aeros Eng 2016: Article ID 7817962. (10 pp)Google Scholar
- Guadagno L, Longo P, Mariconda A, Calabrese E, Raimondo M, Naddeo C, Vertuccio L, Russo S, Iannuzzo G (2017b) Grubbs-Hoveyda type catalyst for metathesis reactions in highly reactive environments. European Patent Application EP3141303 (A1)―2017-03-15Google Scholar
- Liu W, Liu Y, Wang R (2011) MD simulation of single-wall carbon nanotubes employed as container in self-healing materials. Polym Polym Compos 19:333–338Google Scholar
- Rule JD, Sottos NR, White SR, Moore JS (2005b) The chemistry of self-healing polymers. Educ Chem 42:130–132Google Scholar
- Viscardi M, Arena M, Barra G, Guadagno L (2017) Smart carbon-epoxy laminate with high dissipation properties for vibro-acoustic optimization in the turboprop aircraft. Int J Mech 11:51–57Google Scholar