Technical Debt in Costa Rica: An InsighTD Survey Replication
InsighTD is a globally distributed family of industrial surveys on causes and effects of Technical Debt (TD). We are currently analyzing the data gathered from the independent replication of the questionnaire in Costa Rica. In total, 156 professionals from the Costa Rican software industry answered the survey. Initial results indicate that there is a broad familiarity with the concept of TD. For the examples reported, it seems that the type of TD were product of situations that could have been prevented. TD was monitored for slightly more than half of cases, and TD was not paid in most cases. In future articles, we will report causes and the effects of TD in Costa Rica.
KeywordsTechnical debt Survey Family of surveys
We want to thank all the participants of the survey and the researches from Costa Rica team promoting this international initiative (InsighTD).
- 2.Besker, T., Martini, A., Bosch, J.: Time to pay up technical debt from a software quality perspective. In: Proceedings of the 2017 20th Ibero-American Conference on Software Engineering, pp. 235–248. CibSE, Argentina (2017)Google Scholar
- 5.Becker, C., Betz, S., Mccord, C.: Trade-off decisions across time in technical debt management: a systematic literature review. In: Proceedings of the 2018 International Conference on Technical Debt, pp. 85–94. ACM, Gothenburg (2018)Google Scholar
- 6.Avgeriou, P., Kruchten, P., Ozkaya, I., Seaman, C.: Managing technical debt in software engineering. Dagstuhl Rep. 6(4), 110–138 (2016)Google Scholar
- 7.InsighTD Project. http://td-survey.com/. Accessed 05 Aug 2019
- 8.Rios, N., Spinola, R., Mendonça, M., Seaman, C.: The most common causes and effects of technical debt: first results from a global family of industrial surveys. In: Proceedings of Empirical Software Engineering and Measurement (ESEM). ACM, Oulu (2018)Google Scholar
- 9.McConnell, S.: Managing technical debt. In: Best Practices White Papers. Construx Software, Washington, United States (2008)Google Scholar