Industry 4.0 and The Sharing Economy
- 27 Downloads
We discuss the rise of manufacturing-at-the-edge in the context of the sharing economy. Some of the disruptive forces giving rise to edge manufacturing are discussed. As well as presenting some of the pressing open technical questions, many societal issues, and the unintended consequence of prosumer based societies are discussed.
KeywordsAdditive manufacturing 3D-printing Sharing economy
This work is supported in part by a research grant from Science Foundation Ireland (SFI) under Grant Number 16/RC/3872 and is co-funded under the European Regional Development Fund. RS was also partially supported by SFI grant—16/IA/4610.
- 1.Bachmann R, Ehrlich G, Ruzic D (2017) Firms and collective reputation: the Volkswagen emissions scandal as a case study. CEPR Discussion Paper No. DP12504. Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=3089760
- 2.Agnew S, Dargusch S (2015) Effect of residential solar and storage on centralized electricity supply systems. Nat Clim Chang 5(315):Google Scholar
- 3.Parag Y, Sovacool BK (2016) Electricity market design for the prosumer era. Nat Energy 1Google Scholar
- 4.Crisostomi E, Shorten R, Studli S, Wirth F (2017) Electric and plug-in hybrid vehicle networks: optimization and control. CRC Press, Taylor and Francis GroupGoogle Scholar
- 5.Fioravanti A, Marecek J, Shorten R, Souza M, Wirth F (2017) On classical control and smart cities. arXiv:1703.07308
- 9.Goudin P (2016) The cost of non-Europe in the sharing economy: economic, social and legal challenges and opportunities. Technical Report, European Parliamentary Research ServiceGoogle Scholar
- 10.Stefaniak A, Lebouf R, Duling MG, Yi J, Abukabda A, McBride CR, Nurkiewicz TR (2017) Inhalation exposure to three-dimensional printer emissions stimulates acute hypertension and microvascular dysfunction. 335:1–5Google Scholar
- 11.Moret F, Pinson P (2018) Energy collectives: a community and fairness based approach to future electricity markets. IEEE Trans Power SystGoogle Scholar
- 12.Iosifidis G, Tassiulas L (2017) Dynamic policies for cooperative networked systems. In: Workshop on the economics of networks, systems and computation, Series NetEcon, pp 1–6Google Scholar
- 15.Patel S, Rajagopal R (2017) The value of distributed energy resources for heterogeneous residential consumers. arXiv:1709.08140 [cs.SY]