Grapes Visual Segmentation for Harvesting Robots Using Local Texture Descriptors
This paper investigates the performance of Local Binary Patterns variants in grape segmentation for autonomous agricultural robots, namely Agrobots, applied to viniculture and winery. Robust fruit detection is challenging and needs to be accurate to enable the Agrobot to execute demanding tasks of precise farming. Segmentation task is handled by classification with the supervised machine learning model k-Nearest Neighbor (\( k \)-NN), including extracted features from Local Binary Patterns (LBP) and their variants in combination of color components. LBP variants are tested for both varieties of red and white grapes, subject to performance measures of accuracy, recall and precision. The results for red grapes indicate an approximate intended accuracy of 94% of detection, while the results relating to white grapes confirm the concerns of complex indiscreet visual cues providing accuracies of 83%.
KeywordsVisual computing Computer vision Grapes detection Image segmentation Local binary patterns
This research has been co‐financed by the European Union and Greek national funds through the Operational Program Competitiveness, Entrepreneurship and Innovation, under the call RESEARCH – CREATE – INNOVATE (project code: T1EDK-00300).
- 1.Rosenberger, C., Arguenon, V., Bergues-Lagarde, A., Bro, P., Rosenberger, C., Smari, W.: Multi-agent based prototyping of agriculture robots using additional soft biometric features to enhance the keystroke dynamics biometric system view project (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Chamelat, R., Rosso, E., Choksuriwong, A., Rosenberger, C., Laurent, H., Bro, P.: Grape detection by image processing. In: IECON Proceedings of Industrial Electronics Conference, pp. 3697–3702 (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Redmon, J., Divvala, S., Girshick, R., Farhadi, A.: You only look once: unified, real-time object detection (2016)Google Scholar
- 11.He, K., Gkioxari, G., Dollár, P., Girshick, R.: Mask R-CNN (2017)Google Scholar
- 13.Ojala, T., Pietikainen, M., Harwood, D.: Performance evaluation of texture measures with classification based on Kullback discrimination of distributions. In: Proceedings of 12th International Conference on Pattern Recognition, vol. 1, pp. 582–585. IEEE Computer Society Press (1999)Google Scholar
- 19.Liao, S., Zhao, G., Kellokumpu, V., Pietikainen, M., Li, S.Z.: Modeling pixel process with scale invariant local patterns for background subtraction in complex scenes. In: Proceedings of the 2010 IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, pp. 1301–1306. IEEE (2010)Google Scholar
- 22.Silva, C., Bouwmans, T., Frélicot, C.: An extended center-symmetric local binary pattern for background modeling and subtraction in videos. In: Proceedings of the 10th International Conference on Computer Vision Theory and Applications, pp. 395–402 (2015)Google Scholar